(Actually, they are Kenmore duets, and fanciest machines Mr Wonderful and I have ever had.)
This is a picture of my new washer and dryer. I had a perfectly good washing machine, but it was pronounced dead. The repairman we have used for years and years came out, asked me what the problem was, and fixed it. Well, I thought. He had me go downstairs where the machine was and pushed a button and showed me that the washer did not spin.....charged me $70 and said he wasn't taking his part off of the machine. I was a little ticked that not only did he charge me for a service call, he charged me for the part the machine did not need....that he left on my dead machine! Good thing I had another machine in Mr Wonderful's shed out back. We brought it inside. It was a little creepy using a machine that had been stored outside for who knows how long.....and it did indeed smell quite dusty. It didn't have a gentle cycle, the bin was pretty small....and think it was pretty hard on my clothes. I put the dead washing machine out in our big trash pick up pile. This little tiny non English speaking Hispanic guy wanted me to help him put it on the back of his truck. I acted like I had no clue what he was talking about. He left...I don't know if he was the one that ended up with the machine or not, but it did disappear out of our trash pile.
My cousin, Annette got a beautiful new washer and dryer from Sears around two or so years ago. She paid around $3,000 for them. I thought she was nuts. She told me I needed to get them--they were wonderful. I was perfectly happy with the machine I had. Fast forward to this year. My good machine was pronounced dead, and I was using a small machine with three cycles, but was very happy to have a machine at all. I got to thinking about my mother coming this winter. She informed me that she is going to be my laundress. She is a little 90 pound woman and she has a LOT of nice clothes. Truthfully, I don't really care if my clothes are spinning around in a cheap washing machine, but didn't want her to feel her clothes weren't being treated properly....You see, my sister and mom went to my cousin's house and fell in love with her wonderful machines. I am not certain exactly how it all happened, but they have some pretty spiffy machine's, too. Mr Wonderful and I started our quest to get wonderful machines for my mother, our future winter laundress.
We checked Costco, and Consumer Reports. Somehow we ended up at Sears. We fell in love with the sets you see in the picture. We got them for a very good deal, and the blue color was the special this week. We loved it. We've always gone with the white machines--when you have nine children, you don't really have any extra money to blow on colored appliances. The delivery guys were going to put the machines side by side like my other set were, but said I'd have much more room if they were stacked...so I had them stack them. I envisioned them being IN FRONT of all of the cords...not so. They aren't even covering the dryer vent. There are my "Cadillac" machines with cords hanging all over the place...and the dingy walls. Now I feel I need to paint the room so everything looks better. (You can see the paint chips I have taped to the wall.) Oh, I can't envision color. Also, I can't believe I need to paint that room. I really need to paint most of the house, though, so might as well start in the laundry room. I haven't finished organizing my destroyed sewing/computer/storage room yet....but currently, the laundry room is bothering me far worse than my sewing room is. I am used to that room being destroyed. Once I get the machines paid off, I'll see about getting some kind of cupboard to put in front of those cords. One thing at a time. Also, I had to be laundry detergent that was HE rated. I have no clue how it compares to the regular detergent, and every page of the instruction booklet warned against using detergent that was not HE rated. I did have my three month supply of the regular detergent.
I spent one evening reading the instruction booklet on the washing machine. That was pretty stressful. I am not used to a machine with any working whistles and bells, and this one has quite a few of them! Also, I love to keep my laundry done up, so do a few small loads every day. The summer with the tons of pool and bath towels the grandchildren and visitors generate is finally over. I probably need to go find a full time job so I can let my laundry pile up in big enough piles to wash it once a week like most normal people do...instead of 24 or so smaller loads a week. This evening, I did manage to get a load of towels washed and then I couldn't get my dryer to work. I finally called Stephanie to help. She pounded on the dryer door and was able to smack it closed so the dang thing would finally start. For such an advanced machine, there isn't a cycle that I can see for towels....it isn't bedding, casual, jeans, etc. Truthfully, I am not certain WHAT cycle it is drying on. I kind of miss the simplicity of my old machine.....and it covered up the black spots on the wall....We shall see if I can change my habits and I will be interested to see how much water I really can save using this machine. Well, maybe I won't be able to tell, though. I have been watering my lawn where we can't irrigate as the grass is dead and there is just dirt. I am not certain I want to use the water to have green grass this winter or not, but I know I am not happy with dirt! That was a previous blog...I'll post a picture of my freshly painted laundry room....when I decide on a color and get it done. Don't hold your breath. I am watching my five year old grandson all weekend, delivering baby items to the Phoenix Indian Medical Center tomorrow, and helping with a wedding on Saturday. Right now, I think I'll go to bed. Oh, I forgot. I guess I should check on my towels...then bed. Good night to you, too.
My cousin, Annette got a beautiful new washer and dryer from Sears around two or so years ago. She paid around $3,000 for them. I thought she was nuts. She told me I needed to get them--they were wonderful. I was perfectly happy with the machine I had. Fast forward to this year. My good machine was pronounced dead, and I was using a small machine with three cycles, but was very happy to have a machine at all. I got to thinking about my mother coming this winter. She informed me that she is going to be my laundress. She is a little 90 pound woman and she has a LOT of nice clothes. Truthfully, I don't really care if my clothes are spinning around in a cheap washing machine, but didn't want her to feel her clothes weren't being treated properly....You see, my sister and mom went to my cousin's house and fell in love with her wonderful machines. I am not certain exactly how it all happened, but they have some pretty spiffy machine's, too. Mr Wonderful and I started our quest to get wonderful machines for my mother, our future winter laundress.
We checked Costco, and Consumer Reports. Somehow we ended up at Sears. We fell in love with the sets you see in the picture. We got them for a very good deal, and the blue color was the special this week. We loved it. We've always gone with the white machines--when you have nine children, you don't really have any extra money to blow on colored appliances. The delivery guys were going to put the machines side by side like my other set were, but said I'd have much more room if they were stacked...so I had them stack them. I envisioned them being IN FRONT of all of the cords...not so. They aren't even covering the dryer vent. There are my "Cadillac" machines with cords hanging all over the place...and the dingy walls. Now I feel I need to paint the room so everything looks better. (You can see the paint chips I have taped to the wall.) Oh, I can't envision color. Also, I can't believe I need to paint that room. I really need to paint most of the house, though, so might as well start in the laundry room. I haven't finished organizing my destroyed sewing/computer/storage room yet....but currently, the laundry room is bothering me far worse than my sewing room is. I am used to that room being destroyed. Once I get the machines paid off, I'll see about getting some kind of cupboard to put in front of those cords. One thing at a time. Also, I had to be laundry detergent that was HE rated. I have no clue how it compares to the regular detergent, and every page of the instruction booklet warned against using detergent that was not HE rated. I did have my three month supply of the regular detergent.
I spent one evening reading the instruction booklet on the washing machine. That was pretty stressful. I am not used to a machine with any working whistles and bells, and this one has quite a few of them! Also, I love to keep my laundry done up, so do a few small loads every day. The summer with the tons of pool and bath towels the grandchildren and visitors generate is finally over. I probably need to go find a full time job so I can let my laundry pile up in big enough piles to wash it once a week like most normal people do...instead of 24 or so smaller loads a week. This evening, I did manage to get a load of towels washed and then I couldn't get my dryer to work. I finally called Stephanie to help. She pounded on the dryer door and was able to smack it closed so the dang thing would finally start. For such an advanced machine, there isn't a cycle that I can see for towels....it isn't bedding, casual, jeans, etc. Truthfully, I am not certain WHAT cycle it is drying on. I kind of miss the simplicity of my old machine.....and it covered up the black spots on the wall....We shall see if I can change my habits and I will be interested to see how much water I really can save using this machine. Well, maybe I won't be able to tell, though. I have been watering my lawn where we can't irrigate as the grass is dead and there is just dirt. I am not certain I want to use the water to have green grass this winter or not, but I know I am not happy with dirt! That was a previous blog...I'll post a picture of my freshly painted laundry room....when I decide on a color and get it done. Don't hold your breath. I am watching my five year old grandson all weekend, delivering baby items to the Phoenix Indian Medical Center tomorrow, and helping with a wedding on Saturday. Right now, I think I'll go to bed. Oh, I forgot. I guess I should check on my towels...then bed. Good night to you, too.
PS The water pump on my daughter, Megan's washing machien went out about the same day I bought my new machines....If you'd LIKE to take a trip to Midland, TX.....and haul a washing machine.....
Let me know.
Let me know.





No comments:
Post a Comment