Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fall Break Trip to Sedona

Kristi, Matt and Austin are on fall break from school. Kristi really wanted to go to Sedona Monday and do some hiking at West Fork in Oak Creek Canyon. Her sisters bailed on her, so she was just going to go with son Matt and nephew, Austin. I told her I would go along. I asked her what the temperature was expected to be, as talked to my mother that same morning, and it was snowing in Idaho Falls. It is just barely starting to cool off here in the valley. I had a bit of trouble rounding up some closed toe shoes...finding some socks and glad I grabbed my sweater. We didn't head far enough north to find West Fork, and a ranger advised us to be careful how long we were out in the canyon, as it gets dark fast and then they have to send search and rescue out to find the stranded people....We parked illegally by a bridge (did not have the designated Red Rock parking pass) and let the boys "hike". It was a lovely area. Well, I do not know of an ugly area in Oak Creek Canyon. I loved the trip to Sedona this time. The DVD player that Austin insists on bringing on every trip was dead battery wise, we did not have the cord to use it in a car. He got a little bored, but not nearly as bored as he thought he would. He actually carried on a conversation with Matt, and there was a lot of giggling and laughing going on in the back seat instead of arguing over what show they were going to watch next, etc.
The boys "hiked" along a red rock empty ditch that runs along side of the parking lot we parked in once we got back to Sedona proper. This is Austin pointing out a prickly pear cactus I had been admiring. Kristi and I both laughed over the look on his little face. When I asked him to point to the cactus, he kind of looked like "You have got to be kidding....well, ok, then!"


This is a picture of the lady working the fudge at the fudge shop. There is fudge "setting up" on the marble covered table behind her. Oh, it smelled so wonderful in the fudge shop. It was very busy, too. The weather was cool, less people, the children were happy. What a delightful trip we had.

A picture of Matt, Kristi and Austin outside of the shops on a little patio area.



A picture of the "Egg" house. We drove down into the housing addition and tried to get a close up of the house, but this is as good as it gets, and we accidentally tresspassed on a private driveway trying to get a better look at the house....maybe next trip. I guess the Sedona City Council has issue with the color of this house. Not like anyone would notice, right? There is a smaller bright yellow domed area of the house to the left, but you can't see it in this picture.




No comments:

Post a Comment