Friday, October 9, 2009

Discouragement

My friend Pam H used this in a talk once and gave me a copy. I looked online, but did not find any author, so hopefully I will not be sued for copyright infringement.....I'd like to be able to find it when I want to read it.

In the street of life, walking in the darkness of the shadows, hungry old Satan was out hunting with his dogs, the little imps of human weakness. A man came walking through the street of life: Satan said to the little Devil with the bitter face, "Go get him for me." Quickly the imp crossed the street, silently and lightly hopped up onto the man's shoulder, close in his ear he whispered, "You are discouraged." "No", said the man, "I am not discouraged." But the imp again whispered, "You are discouraged." Louder and more decidedly the evil imp said again, "I tell you, you are discouraged!" The man dropped his head and replied, "Well, I suppose I am discouraged." The imp left the man and hopped back to Satan and said, "I have got him. He is discouraged." Another man passed. Again old Satan said, "I want him for me." The proud little imp hopped on the man's shoulder and said, "You are discouraged." The man replied, "No I am not discouraged." After the second time the imp insisted the man the man replied, "I tell you I am not discouraged." The third time the imp tempted him, the man said boldly, "I an not discouraged. YOU LIE!" The man walked down the street, his head up, going towards the light. The imp of discouragement returned to his master, Satan, crestfallen. "I could not get him. Three times I told him he was discouraged. The third time, he called me a liar. That really discouraged me."

PS Happy 74th birthday, Dad. You always believed in me. I miss you! Celebrating my love for you by sharing your favorite: Angel food cake, whipped cream and strawberries with Mr Wonderful, the kids and grandkids today. Thanks to Vickie compiling your writings, I can also share some of your writings with them. See you in the hereafter!

2 comments:

  1. Perfect timing. Thanks for the story and happy birthday to your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that story! I must have missed this post along the way! I didn't know that was grandpa's birthday. I really don't have many memories with grandpa but the ones I do have are sure fun. Does my dad have a copy of his writings? I've never seen it and would love to read it!

    ReplyDelete