Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Grasshopper Point, Part II

Jennifer and Mom O' Nine sitting on a rock while Kristi and the two boys climb all over the cliffs, check out the water, etc. The creek complete with a waterfall was right in front of us. The boys running across the rocks overhead were a bit worrisome...I'd have a few moments of relief when they would climb down, then I was afraid they'd end up in the creek. This part was quite a bit deeper than the place Matt was rock hopping.
Waterfall across the creek that we were sitting by. It was just beautiful!

View from the cliffs looking down at the water. Kristi talked Jen and I into going UP THE CLIFF as it was shorter route to the car! I just went up, didn't look down, or I knew I would freeze, and someone would have to come rescue me off of that rock. Chewie said, Wow! I have never seen an old lady hike up a mountain before! He didn't mean it in a derogatory way--think about it--the child is eleven and I am....over a half century old. That is ancient to him. I didn't show any pictures of Jen and I climbing up the cliff....ruined the view!



Kristi with all of the purses. Old ladies obviously can't hike AND carry their bags!


Going home. The day is done. It was a beautiful day filled with fun. Hopefully the boys will want to take their children to Grasshopper Point someday. Matt can tell his kids about the day an old lady climbed a cliff.
Warning: A Blast from the Past--Mom O' Nine's Musings

When I was young, our family took many, many day trips. We lived in southeastern Idaho, and places with great beauty could be found by driving in any direction. My parents loved to take a drive. In those days, a gallon of gas was just $0.29.9. My parents couldn't afford much, but they could afford gas for a drive out in the country. Usually, my dad worked 6 days a week, but if he did have a Saturday off, he liked to get out of the city and to some destination that usually involved at least a few miles on a dirt road or trail. He was VERY proud of some of the out of the way places he was able to get the family car. Sometimes we would drive to the Cache Valley in Wyoming just for cheese curds (squeaky cheese). Many afternoons were spent exploring the Kelly's Canyon area. My dad LOVED a river, reservoir, (even a canal), dirt road, wheat or potato field, brush patch--and a good old car. Seriously, when I see a 1955-1965 Chevy or Buick, I think of my dad.
Sometimes I feel sad that I haven't been able to share these places and memories with my children. By the time I do get to Idaho, it is VERY difficult to get anyone back in a car for a drive. Also, the kids are mostly grown and family trips together are now a thing of the past. I was talking about making a trip to Idaho this summer and going to Heise Hot Springs. Weffers spoke up and asked, "Is that the great swim place by the bend in the river?" I smiled. One of my favorite spots has become one of her own. That makes three generations of a memory, as my dad LOVED Heise, too.

2 comments:

  1. Fun day with the family- or at least part of it- and a great memory. What more could you ask!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the blast from the past memories. Do you remember how excited dad was when after two years of metal-detecting he found an old silver spoon at an old homestead site?

    ReplyDelete