Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sewing for Babies

Making a difference. The first Tuesday of each month a group of ladies from different faiths get together to sew for a non profit organization: Sewing for Babies. This meeting is held at the Tolleson LDS church. This Tuesday, they were working on quilts and baby clothing that would soon be donated to area hospitals and shelters.

This is Elizabeth Hunsaker, one of the three directors of Sewing for Babies, and Kathy Turville, our ward SFB representative. I said, "Smile, Elizabeth, I am taking your picture." She asked what it was being taken for, as recently some of her seminary kids said they saw her picture in the newspaper. She asked what she was doing, as had no idea what picture or activity had made it to the paper. (It was a picture related to her school board duties.) Along with Sewing for Babies and teaching seminary, she is one of the top Mary Kay sales persons in the valley. She is also in charge of a Sewing for Babies' meeting that is held the second Tuesday of each month at the Joanne's store on Bell Rd.

This is a group of Sewing for Babies volunteers. Some are working on clothing. One lady is finishing the quilts that Elizabeth was pinning together.


Joy Burton, director of Sewing for Babies is shown kneeling in this picture. Joy had open heart surgery last November and some severe complications related to that surgery. She is doing much better now. The other two ladies are members, Mary and Sandy. (Not me, too skinny.) They are putting the plastic snaps on some baby clothes.


Joy gave Little T some balls to play with, but he preferred to sit by the ladies at the table and talk. They were busy working and some ladies can't hear very well, but he was chattering away. I was cutting out baby items on the stage. When I went over to check on him, he said, "They are pretty much doing what I tell them." One lady, a retired teacher, came up to me later and said he is going to be a challenge to his kindergarten teacher. (Well, until he realizes the teacher is the boss, things could be challenging, but he is very a very bright and happy child. I think things will work out.)


Joy gave Little T a job. He is putting the pins that are in a container back into the pin cushions. Joy says she can find a job for anyone of any age to do to help the group. He talked to Elizabeth and made a new best friend.


Thanks to Elizabeth, (and the ladies that let Little T be the boss), I was able to cut out these little shirts for the 4th of July. I decided to start early after my Easter shirt fiasco.


We had a pot luck around 12:30. There was lasagna, stuffed cabbage rolls (delicious, by the way), a pasta salad, green salad and desserts. Little T and I shared the Lemon Bars we made. He ate a little bit of the nutritious food, but saved room for three small slices of chocolate cake. (He made certain to sit by Elizabeth, and not his grandma.) On the way home he said, "Well, grandma, that Sewing for Babies went pretty fast. It wasn't too boring, and they had some good cake!"

Note: I have a link over on the right to the Sewing for Babies website, but it is Sewing For Babies if you'd like to take a look around.

4 comments:

  1. You are so great to still be doing this after all this time. It's motivating me to start getting involved in something again. We'll see if I actually act on it! Happy sewing (and 4th of July, in case I forget!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shannon. You take your kids to the temple early each Wednesday. That totally amazes me. You do the family research....Just keep on being the example you are. When the kids need Honor Society volunteer hours something will happen and voila! That is what happened to me. Deide needed quilts to tie for the group and I made the quilts. It blossomed from there. Your mom got me my first hat looms, too. I always think of her when I work on a baby hat. Thanks for the 4th wishes, too. You crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That reminds me when you use to take Austin along to your Sewing for Babies meetings. I am glad you have another little helper to help you and the ladies out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a productive day. I am so imprressed with those who can sew! -Vickie

    ReplyDelete