My version of Sabra's Creamy Chicken Broccoli Bake --I microwaved it and it is covered in melted cheese.

Sabra also demonstrated a casserole recipe using wheat berries instead of rice. She put the wheat berries in a mixing bowl, added a can of cream of chicken soup, some sliced, cubed chicken, some broccoli, a little chicken broth. She covered it with cheese and put it in the microwave for around 4 minutes. I am telling you, it was delicious! We were painting cookies around our kitchen table Saturday night, and Breezy said, "I really wish I had some of that wheat broccoli casserole with the cheese on it. Can we make that for Easter dinner mom?" I nearly fell over. I have a ham and potato dinner with warm rolls planned, but I put wheat and water in my crock pot to turn into cooked wheat berries. I am making a side of "Breezy's Wheat Berry Casserole" for everyone to try. I'm also doing the Waldorf Salad Recipe, as it was a very yummy treat.
Sabra said you can substitute the wheat berries in any dish that you would use rice. Also, she said when you add them to baked goods, to make certain the berries are very hydrated, as they will dry out a bit while baking. I'm going to do as Sabra did, and experiment a bit this week with my wheat berries. I have a good helper and fellow experimenter in Breezy. We have a slightly willing person to experiment on: Mr Wonderful. I'll let you know how it goes. He said the wheat berry cereal I gave him this morning was strange. I was a little disappointed, as he loves oatmeal and cream of wheat. Why not give wheat equal billing as a morning cereal?
Hearty Lentils and Berries--One of 16-year old Breezy's Favorites at the Wheat Class
1 1/2 c. green or brown lentils
4 c. vegetable or chicken broth
4 c. cold water
3 tbsp olive oil
4 carrots, sliced
1 large onion, diced
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 cups cooked wheat berries
8 cups of coarsely chopped Swiss chard, spinach or kale (Can you believe it? I don't think Breezy even noticed.)
3 tbsp lime juice
In a large stockpot combine lentils, broth, and water. Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently until the lentils are tender but not mushy, about 25-30 minutes.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds more. Remove from heat. When the lentils are tender, stir cooked wheat berries and chard into the pot. Simmer until the greens have wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrot mixture and lime juice.
Option: Add browned meat if desired; add with carrots and onions after browning.
My food pictures certainly are not ready for the food network. Just remember, they are WAY more tasty than they look!

Wheat Berry Waldorf Salad (Mr Wonderful gave this recipe a thumbs up. He ate two servings of it.)
1 cup fully cooked wheat berries
1 1/c crunchy salad apple; chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (I had a Golden Delicious, so that is what I used.)
1/4 c celery (Mr Wonderful hates it. I left it out. Trying wheat berries is enough for one experimental recipe.)
1/4 c raisins (I used 1/2 c grapes sliced in half. No one in this family will eat a raisin except me.)
2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
1/2 c. walnut or pecan pieces
1 small container low fat vanilla yogurt. (Or can use 1/3 c mayonnaise, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard with 1 tsp sweetener. I just used the yogurt.)
Bring wheat berries to a boil in 3 1/2 cups water, then simmer for about 60-75 minutes. If necessary, add more water. Cool berries and mix with the remaining ingredients. Keep in refrigerator until served.
Note: All the dishes Sabra prepared, she used wheat from her storage that was dated 1972! She said it did not make the best bread, but it was wonderful to cook with. The evidence was in the tasting. Also, My Waldorf salad would have been much more colorful if I had the red grapes and a red apple. Alas, I had green grapes and a yellow delicious apple, so it is kind of bland looking. The wheat I am using is the white wheat from Montana. It doesn't seem to need to cook as long as the regular red winter wheat. Well, I am off to try some chocolate chip cookies using 1/2 cup of my wheat berries instead of nuts. These people I live with do not like nuts in baked goods.....so it might be a hard sell. Let me know if you use wheat berries to cook with and your experiences. Breezy looked at this blog and said to tell you not to knock it until you try it!




Loved Loved Loved your post. I "grew Up" on Make a mix cookbooks! I actually did do wheat meals in younger days too. Thanks for the reminder and such a great job of it too. That Sabra is something else! Thanks Sandy!!!!
ReplyDeleteI wish I was there was a taste tester. I am into experimenting this week. I better have a hit soon or I am going to run out of taste testers! Everyone is suspicious of dinnertime now!
ReplyDelete