
Me holding Junior. She is not impressed, believe me.
Junior in her temporary living quarters. The cage is like a Marriott Hotel for birds and still she is not impressed.
These are pictures taken Friday after Weffers "bathed" Junior Thursday night. Weffie didn't like the food that was stuck on Junior. I must say, she looks much better. She is an ORNERY bird! Feisty....probably two qualities that have helped her survive this long. I do not think she is a Common Grackle. Truthfully, I don't know what kind of bird she is. She looks like she is annoyed all of the time. I think she is very pretty. The feathers under her beak are snow white and little like a little puff of cotton. I love the white mixed in the gray on her chest. Do I sound like an adoring mother, or what? She doesn't care for humans at all. Since she is fully feathered and went totally nuts when we took her outside, we decide to see if she could fly. She flew about 25 feet and crashed. Lets just say she can fly.....she just can't land yet. Also, can she survive on her own in the big world just yet? One of the kids said to paint her feet then set her free and then if I saw a dead bird with colored feet, I would know it was her. I don't think so! She also has decided she does not like canned dog food. She shakes her head and the little pea sized pellet of dog food flies across her cage. Seriously, if she survives, and there was a bird shot putt event, I'd enter this bird. Today (as it will be when you read this), I am going to go get some millet sprays and see if she eats them. I'll just feed her the cooked scrambled egg yoke and small seeds from the cockatiel's seed mixture until then. Keep those bird prayers coming. She isn't out of the woods yet. Actually, she isn't out of the bird cage in the kitchen, and hopefully will live to see the woods...or at least the trees in the backyard.
Postscript to this story. I let Junior free at 8:30 am Monday morning. I put the dogs in the house and took her out by the tall trees. She freed one wing and was flapping it and pecking at me and freed her other wing. Rasty bird that she is, I am certain she feels she escaped her human captives. I guess she didn't see me open my hand. Good luck, Junior wherever you are.
Also My Banty hen died last week. When I was irrigating, the water washed some dirt way from the sides of the aviary my two chickens were in. She escaped and I think Asia got her. I plan to get a nice dog run for my one remaining chicken and get a couple more chickens....or maybe a lot more so she has some buddies. Junior is doing fine as far as I know, and while thinking she would die, the banty did. That is how life is. You just never know what tomorrow will bring.




Sandy, We raised a dove once. I went to the fish store and bought freeze dried worms. I mixed them with a bit of water and some warm malt-o-meal. YUCK! But, that little bird grew and flew away one day. THEN, all the kids cried because the bird didn't come back. Ya can never win with kids. Yours is looking great. Good luck
ReplyDelete