Friday, April 17, 2009

Chocolate Chip Wheat Berry Cookies

Hi again. I hope you guys enjoyed Susan Boyle's performance. I've watched it quite a few times now. Well, when I wasn't experimenting with my supply of cooked wheat berries.

Terry M asked me how to cook the wheat berries. The recipe I was given was 1 cup wheat to 3 cups of water. I put 3 cups of wheat and 9 cups of water in my crock pot and let the wheat cook on low one evening and all night. It was too long. Next time, I think I will try high for a couple of hours, then check the wheat. I am using the white hard wheat from Montana. I think it is a few degrees 'softer' than the red winter wheat, although I am not a wheat expert. Mine actually looked a bit mushy, but I have been using them just fine. Sabra said you could cook the wheat in a microwave, thermos, and on the stove top. I think even a rice cooker was mentioned. Just pick a method and cook your berries until they are tender and you can eat them.



Breezy said to tell you these are delicious, and I am to save her some for after school today. I'll try my hardest NOT to polish off two dozen cookies by myself!


Here is the recipe all two of you have been waiting for. Sabra said use any recipe you like and just add 1/4 cup or so of moist wheat berries as you would add nuts to a recipe.

1 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup wheat berries
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup whole wheat flour

I creamed the butter with the sugar, added the vanilla and egg. I mixed in the wheat berries and the oatmeal. I added the salt, soda, and baking powder to the flour and then added it to the creamed mixture. I baked them at 350 degrees for around 10 minutes for a pretty good sized cookie.....9 minutes for a little smaller cookie. I gave them the first taste test. They were moist and a little chewy. I think the oatmeal did a wonderful job of masking the wheat berries. I used 100% ground whole wheat flour....You know, I have really enjoyed cooking and baking with my wheat this week. I can't believe I am 50 plus years old and just figuring out what to do with my wheat. I just had no idea how to use the berries. I must warn you, I am just starting with my wheat berry experiment. I'll only blog if I make something they love so much that I think your family will love, too. Have a Nice weekend!
CAUTION: Animals, their food and a varmint are mentioned below. Cookie lovers/Dog haters stop reading now!

Oh, I am going to make some dog treats.. I am not certain I will put wheat berries in them, but maybe I will. I was wondering how you store 3 months worth of dog food for five dogs? It only makes sense to start baking for the dogs, and I have a recipe! Heck, I could probably eat the biscuits if I wanted to as good ingredients are going into them. I plan to do some variations of the biscuits, too. My dogs love peanut butter, so that will be one batch. I'll let you know how it goes.....maybe. I am not certain one person that reads my blog has a dog. I guess I have enough of them for the lot of us! They are good pals and I love each of them. Jennifer's black lab, Star is having surgery tomorrow. She has been a very faithful, protective girl. I think she has a cancerous growth near her eye. I am hoping all goes well during her surgery. Hmmm, first batch of dog treats should be for Star!

I have a dog story for you. The other day when we were flood irrigating, I saw my little visually challenged (doesn't see so well AT ALL) Chow, Quigley looking at something, nose to the ground, tail wagging. I got closer, and he was nudging a half drowned gopher with his nose, then backing up, and nudging it again! Quigley just loves Dano's little Chihuahua/Dachshund mix, Rosco Biggs. You have all met him via my blog pictures. He was about the size of a gopher when we first got him. Poor Quigley. I think he was wanting the gopher to to play with him! I called Arlen, got the gopher on a shovel and Arlen got rid of him. I guess Quigley is not a gopher hunter.

May this spring weather continue, and those in northern states even SEE some spring weather. See you Monday if I find anything to blog about. Odds are probably pretty good that I will. (Smiley Face. )

1 comment: