Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Yes, I'm Still Blogging and a Car Problem

Second multi-switch part from the Chrysler dealership. This one actually WAS a factory inspected part.
First part from the dealership, which I was so excited about....until it didn't work, even for a second.

Well, I have some stuff to blog about, but it is under construction. One project might have been finished, but I had to take Breezy to the dentist. Usually, they get her right in. I am thinking 4 pm appts are not so great....as took an hour and a half. I made a fast dinner. It wasn't the dinner I was going to make and blog about. I think you guy can pretty much microwave broccoli, instant potatoes and put lemon pepper on some chicken tenders, and some barbecue sauce from the cupboard on the husband's chicken pieces....which is the dinner I had time for.

Ran to get Breezy's prescriptions they said would be ready Tuesday...isn't today Wednesday, as they said they'd be ready tomorrow. I really don't need any help running in crop circles....folks.

We had the PT Cruiser in to our mechanic, Ramon at Luke's Auto Body. I highly recommend him. Two days later, he couldn't spend any more time trying to figure out why the head lights, fog lights (more on those later if I remember), turn signals and doors would not lock or unlock. We read a lot of 'Fix Your Own PT Cruiser' type sites online. I am telling you there are a LOT of people out there and I mean a LOT of them with PT Cruisers that had the same fog light problem we had. Arlen finally took the fuse out of the little fuse holder dohicky, as the fog lights would turn themselves on especially when your car was turned OFF and drain the battery. I think Arlen thought we left the lights on, a dome light on, etc until he saw the car off and the suspect fog lights on....Funny, funny thing. No recall from Chrysler on the little fog light problem. Some poor people bought batteries they did not need, alternators they did not need. Wouldn't you think you send out a note explaining what could happen with your fog lights....but no...they can't do that. Oh, they can, they just didn't/don't.

Arlen had me pick up a multi-switch part. If I remember to post it, you can probably see it at the top of the page and wonder what it is. It is the part that controls the headlights, door locks, turn signals, fog lights, etc. Arlen installed it, and NOTHING worked so the part was wrong. I picked up another part. The box was different. It had a sticker on it stating it was "MOPAR" factory certified part. I just found it interesting, that they passed of the non-factory part to us, and there is all that hype about going to the dealer for the 'factory certified' parts and we got some knock off part. Anyway, the working part did not solve the problem. Arlen took fuses out, put them in, worked on it, wiggled wires, check plug in deals I do not remember the names of...We had been praying, by the way. I do believe I blessed a couple of parts that they would work. Prayed we'd get the car fixe, etc.

Arlen spent an evening reading posts about this problem on line and I spent time reading about 657 posts, mostly about the fog light problems, but also trying to find information on people like us, who'd had the fog light issue, then the door lock, head light, no turn signal, problem. Arlen also discovered he had no windshield wipers, and that was not even a part that went through his switch, or it was on a different part of it...finally, I read this answer by a guy who had fixed his son's Pt Cruiser with the same problems ours had. I printed it out for Arlen, who had already figured out which wire was suspect: The problem was the power feed wire to the fuse block under he dash had burned inside of the gray molex plug. to repair, W pulled out the 40 AMP green fuse under the hood that was marked headlights. Under the dash, he released the molex lock and pulled it apart. He cut the red wire with a white stripe feeding the plug and the same wire on the other side of the plug, soldered it together, and put the steering wheel column back together. Just want to point out, that there is a design flaw with the multi-switch, that allows the part that controls the fog lights to break, and then the wires get hot, the insulation fails, and viola! LOTS of PT Cruisers with this problem, and thanks to CHRYSLER not caring a flip about the people with these cars and bad parts, all trying to figure out the problems on their own. My advice: We bought our PT Cruiser new, but I'd certainly NEVER by a used one. The new multi-switch has not been redesigned--fog lights can fail at any time, and then there we would go again.....Never buying another Chrysler product. We had a Kia--they fixed everything that fell apart on that car, and I am telling you, things fell apart. We traded it in when the warranty was up--not a car you want without a warranty. I think the days are gone when you can run a car/truck until it totally wears out and dies. There are too many electronic parts made overseas with no quality control...and sensitive to heat, wear and tear.

I am so thankful Heavenly Father answers prayer. He didn't answer it like right away, which would have been very nice, but in his time, I do feel he lead us and inspired us to what the problem was to fix the car. I don't think without that inspiration, it would have been fixed. I am very thankful we are guided and given the help we need, as we truly need the PT to continue to run and work, as both Arlen and Breezy share it, him to go out to work, and Breezy to go to school on some days.

PS Chrysler wants over $100 an hour to diagnose a car problem. Ramon spent two days trying figure out what was wrong with the PT, and only charged us for a light bulb, as he said he did not fix the car, and he did NOT charge us any labor for trying. Arlen and I plan to take him some donuts and tell him what the problem was, so if he encounters any more crappy PT Cruisers with this particular problem/problems, he will know. He has the personal integrity you just don't find at some dealerships...these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment