Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Garden Box

A couple weekends ago, Joseph helped me build a garden box. Actually, we did two, one for him, and one for me. Here, Deidre is threading (lacing) wire to connect the two edges of wire we put on the bottom of my garden box so gophers cannot climb up into the box. You can see Joseph busily working on his box in the background.

My box is filled with around 19 bags of mulch, sand, and potting soil. I saved the good moisture retaining soil we got from Costco for the top. I guess I have not downloaded the picture of my freshly filled and somewhat planted box, which is on the berm behind my bedroom on the north side of my house. It gets ABSOLUTELY no direct sunlight this time of year. I have a grow light beating down on my spinach....when it is not shining down on my one strawberry plant. Why I thought I could garden is beyond me, and I am not moving the box. We'll see where the sunlight is next fall. I have lost track of all of the money we've put into the box, but I am pretty sure it is at least a half a year's supply of vegetables....maybe more.

I'm thinking of building a small chicken coop and run......I'll let you know how that goes. Maybe the urge will pass if I ignore it long enough.

1 comment:

  1. I would love fresh eggs from chickens but yes the thought of building a chicken coop is too overwhelming for me. I am settle for my sink finally being fixed and hope that the other toilet can be fixed within the next 6 months. I don't want to rush into anything.

    ReplyDelete