Friday, February 17, 2012

A Little Skirt for Brianna

I have a bunch of seersucker I bought on sale for $1.50 a yard. When Megan's little girls were here over Christmas, they saw this princess fabric and told their mom to tell grandma to make them something.
When I use a commercial pattern to sew for the girls, it seems the clothes just end up too big, too full, and homemade looking. Megan told me Brianna's waist was 20.5 inches and she wanted a skirt that was 9 inches long. I checked with my cousin, the master seamstress for some ideas, as there are a LOT of free skirt patterns online, but I wasn't impressed with most of them. Annette said to make the top layer somewhere between 25 inches and 30 inches, then less than 60 for the second tier....I just went with wideth of the fabric for the second tier, which was 42 inches, and seemed fine. I cut a width of fabric for the striped layer that was around 2-2.5 inches wide and carefully used the machine buttonhole stitch to top stitch the folded fabric to the bottom of the skirt.
I tried making a wrapped fabric rose accent, but didn't like it. I used a piece of green ribbon and premade ribbon flower for contrast. Pretty cute. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment