Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Two Baby Quilts

Last week, I made this little blanket for Jenna, a girl Stephanie worked with at Subway. Actually it was for her little baby. Flannel was on sale at Joanne's for $2.50 a yard. I got a yard for the front, and a yard for the back. I put the batting down, then the backing fabric, wrong side down to the batting, and then the bear fabric right sides together with the diaper pin fabric. I had rounded the corners of the blanket using a saucer. I stitched the two fabrics and the batting, leaving an opening to turn the blanket. I then sewed around the edge of the blanket--also closing the turning opening. I drew two squares on the light blue fabric using a washable marker, and just pinned the fabrics so they wouldn't move too much. I then machine stitched about six inches away from the edge, then about six inches inside that stitching edge so the blanket would hold together. It turned out really cute.
I wanted to make a baby quilt for a friend, Red Carney's first grandson. The graph paper is my sloppy way I plan a quilt. I had plenty of the bear fabric, and about a half yard of the pale blue soft minke type fabric, and only a little bit of the dot fabric. I was able to cut out 13 of the dot blocks that were six inches square, and 14 each of the soft fabric and the chocolate and blue bear fabric. I stayed up this morning and finished the top, but need to find some batting and finish the quilt. Busy, busy day tomorrow.....Have to go with W to a doctor appt about his knee, stop by and try to be a 'volunteer' so Breezy can get some required veini-puncture practice in, and be at Kristi's class at 1 pm to help with her Valentine's Party.
This is a picture of the finished quilt top. The pale blue soft minke fabric is washed out in this picture, but really, it is a pretty pale blue and all of the fabrics look well together.
I received my new 160 Singer Anniversary sewing machine today. I need to get organized, and find it a place so I can use it.....had planned to try it out making this quilt, but just used my Brother machine, as used to it. It is nearly 2 am....would have been much later finishing this quilt top had I been trying out a new machine.....goal is to find a home for the machine, and sew a skirt for Megan's Brianna. We'll see how it goes--I have everything pretty cluttered up at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment