Every year, I wish there was some reporter from our local paper to write about the prom. The talent, time, effort put into it is just almost unimaginable. The theme this year was 'Music of the Night' from The Phantom of the Opera. The Sister in charge this year, Leslie Deskins, has a thriving hair stylist business, has been going to nursing school, taking care of a very sick sister she visit teaches, greeted a new grandchild, etc. Her daughter, Helen helps with the decorative and creative end. Kathy Martinez and Kathy Turville have been working on scenery since December. I believe the HUGE chandelier was made by Brother Apostalo, but don't quote me on that one. Brother Waters, his wife and family help with the entry way each year. This year he built a boat and the scenery was the sewer, which led into the theater. Check out the photography room display. We had a professional photographer, Judy Cozza. I do not know how many hundreds of pictures she took, but I know she took hours checking lighting and fixing the props for the best effects. Several people were in charge of the refreshments. Everything was so tasty, and beautifully displayed.
Every ward made at least one six foot mask. (Breezy made a three foot one.) They adorned the walls inside the 'theater'. They were a feast for my eyes--each truly phenomenal and unique. I took pictures, but I am such an amateur, I do not think any of my pictures do justice for the decorations. Maybe I will be able to blog some of the other photographer's pictures. I am sorry to say that I do not know the people from the other two stakes that helped this year. I'll add their names when I find out. I do know that my daughter, Kristi, helped the sister from her ward in the Goodyear stake work on the silhouettes in all of the balconies, and Kristi was the model for the female silhouette.
An adult and Single Adult prom was held on Friday night. The youth prom was on Saturday night. I will be blogging about Breezy's prom experience first hoping one of our girls puts some photos together for me (slide show, hint, hint). Arlen and I went Friday evening, along with Stephanie, Deidre and Joseph, Kristi, and her roommate Cameron. We had a wonderful time.
While getting Breezy ready for her first prom Saturday, I had a bunch of these little piercing, poignant moments. You mother's know what I am talking about: those moments that happen--your heart seems to seize up, and tears come to your eyes for no real reason at all. I had similar feelings when her oldest sister went off to her first big dance.....with a boy. I guess I kind of got used to girls going off to their first dance...then here was Breezy, our baby, last of our big brood, heading off to her first dance. I don't know where the time has gone. What have I been doing while this little girl grew up on me? It seemed to take the entire family to get her ready for her prom--many shopping trips with her sisters to find the perfect dress, then shoes. Kristi made Kendric's boutonniere. Danielle did Breezy's hair. Our little child looked so beautiful. I am thankful she had a handsome young man from a wonderful LDS family to attend her first big dance with. I am also truly thankful for EVERY ONE'S effort to provide such a memorable, outstanding evening for my child, where she could shine as the beautiful young woman she truly is, dance to uplifting music and socialize with good friends.
I did spent two hours (or more,) trying to do a slide show....got a really nice one, but do not know how to upload it to blogger. (It may be uploaded everywhere else on the Internet--I was thinking, WHAT AM I DOING! (Then answering myself. I HAVEN'T A CLUE!) They shouldn't let people like me mess around with Picasa....If you do see these pictures somewhere, let me know....as I would really like to know where they ended up! I need my kid's help in a bad way! Here are a few pictures until I get some more help....really disappointed with my online photo skills at this point.
One of the many balconies. Kristi was model for female silhouette.
Picture of the photography room. This was Judy Cozza's lair. It is the Primary room, can you believe it?
Picture of the Chandelier and a few of the masks on the wall, etc. I know the Chandelier is off center....was trying also show the masks since I can only show five pictures in this blog.





Wow! Someone (or Someones!) really put in a lot of work. I love that idea. I bet it really means something to the kids when they've put so much in to getting it ready. Glad she had fun. Great music, BTW. I love the soundtrack from Phantom.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Shannon. I have a slideshow coming Wednesday.....If it works.....I wish I had some of the other people's photos. The masks were all so unique and beautiful. They had a prize for the one with the most votes. I didn't vote, as couldn't make up my mind.
ReplyDelete