Dee, the middle child, noticed a snake curled up by my front door the other day. I told her it was probably a California King snake, as have seen at least four of them here before; two of them by the front door. The first snake I saw, I called a snake expert I know who informed me that it WAS a California King snake, and (he says) they are wonderful to have around. They are also known as ‘gopher snakes’. I personally am not thrilled with any snake, but if these guys are here to eat gophers, that works for me. This newcomer, is indeed a California King. He is maybe 13 inches long, though, so doubt he is big enough to eat a gopher. I took his/her picture so you can see the latest creature that has slithered into our yard. I also did not tell any of my grandsons he is out there, as I do not need them relocating him inside the house. My nerves are not up to it.The most traumatic incident we’ve had involving one of these snakes was about 5 or 6 years ago. I heard this blood curdling scream from the front yard and figured Breezy had been nearly killed in some way. Really, everyone in the house ran outside to find her crying uncontrollably. There was the biggest snake I have seen on this property curled up by the front door. Breezy thought her brother, The Marine had placed a rubber snake there and she had reached out and touched it. It moved and hence the scream. The Marine loved it—a reaction from a sister and he didn’t even have to provoke her to enjoy it. (That snake was an adult, a massive snake. I can say, that Mr Wonderful even went in and out of the house from our garage while it was resting by the front door. I do not believe he is a snake person, either.)
I brought Breezy inside and we looked up California King Snakes on the Internet, and we showed her some of their good qualities. In the meantime, I think that snake decided there was WAY too much action at this house, so he/she slid off to the neighbors at quite a fast pace.
From Wikopedia: Here are a few King snake facts for you in case you ever meet one. They really are quite interesting. The thing I found the MOST interesting, was that rattlesnakes can smell a California King snake (Lampropeltis getula californiae) and like to stay at least a mile away from one. That totally works for me. They are popular among pet owners. (Not this woman.) They reach 4 to 6 feet as adults. They usually live 15 to 20 years, but have been known to live 33 years. They are most commonly black and white. (The ones in our yard have always been black and yellow.) It gets the name 'king' because in the wild it eats other snakes, including venomous snakes such as rattlesnakes and water moccasins. It's diet also consists of rats, mice, lizards, and frogs. (All of those creatures could possibly be found around here, so no wonder the snakes are hanging out.) Check out the Wikopedia article if you would like more information. This article here on the blog is probably WAY overkill for most of you.




I love interesting, trivial facts. Thanks for sharing! I had no idea why King snakes were called 'Kings". My question, if rattlesnakes stay at least a mile away from them, why don't we take one camping with us in a cage and not worry abut rattlesnakes showing up while we're there? That sounds like a useful little fact to know.
ReplyDelete