Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Overwhelmed Granny-Mom

This afternoon, I started cutting out Breezy's clothing for the stake pioneer handcart trek she is going on during her spring break. In January, when I heard of this trek, I picked up some patterns and pioneer-looking fabrics. I do not know what I was thinking when I bought unbleached muslin for Breezy's apron. Can you imagine how that is going to look after four days in the wilderness? I better "tea dye" it, or better yet, dye it black before she even leaves home. The hem of the apron is to be 'hand stitched'. No way. I plan to use my serger, regular sewing machine and zippers to boot in creating Breezy's clothing. I have a dress pattern, not the skirt pattern I thought I had. (Breezy wants skirts, not dresses.) I must have thought about using the bottom pattern piece to make a skirt. It is a huge pattern piece. I am not even certain I HAVE enough of each fabric for it. (Picture Gone With the Wind meets a handcart.) Maybe I won't follow a pattern....5 yards of each fabric should make some kind of skirt for a little size 2 teenager! I just do not enjoy this kind of sewing any more. There is a reason I started sewing tiny preemie clothes. Well, there are a lot of reasons, need is one, they are easy is another. At least I'm not sewing Breezy's prom dress!

I kept waiting for life to slow down just a little so I could start on this big (for me) project. I'm in the middle of my much needed spring cleaning. (Well, not even the middle of it, and no end in sight, but I am giving it a go this year.) I just finished the St Paddy's clothes for my preemies and the Indian babies and soon will need to start on the the Easter shirts, etc. My goal was to have the trek clothing sewn by March 1st....obviously that didn't happen. I do not think I factored in baby dog babysitting and watching an extra grandchild. I don't feel like a procrastinator, or to put it more gently, a 'work under pressure' type. I love to have everything ready to go. Well, that is how I used to operate until about child number five. After that, it was somewhat (a lot what) down hill. I roll a lot of unfinished projects to the next day....next week, next month, etc. That is not how my mother operates. Every day she gets up and does the tough stuff first. We were all trained to do the "tough, nasty, dirty, horrible, crappy jobs and work our way to the fun stuff. I also remember her standing back and looking at a job well done and commenting on it--whether it was a job she had finished or one we had done well. I thought she was a little nuts at the time--just didn't appreciate washed, fresh smelling line dried and ironed, clean clothing like she did. Saturday mornings were for cleaning. We all had our little jobs to do, then when we were all finished, we got to go on a drive or have a picnic up in the hills. My dad would finish mowing the lawn, and he'd agree it was time for some family fun. He was as much of a kid as we were when it came to a picnic.

It took me awhile to fully appreciate people that work better under pressure aka good procrastinators. I am married to one, and have several children that are that type. Sometimes I just have to stand back, offer a little support and let the chips fall where they will. For a few years it was really tough being a 'Do it today', type, married to a 'Leave it for tomorrow, or as long as you possibly can' (unless it involved watching or playing a sport) kind of guy. I bet I drove him nuts! I've had one friend inform me that I have joined his ranks--a true procrastinator. I personally think I am more the 'overwhelmed Granny-mom' on occasion--hence the title of this blog. I prefer to think I have grown more tolerant and patient; with myself and others. Family and friends are more important to me than my schedule. I can't imagine saying "I'd love to help you, but I have to clean my floors. I'll get with you next week, or the week after that. Hang tight." Most of the time, it is not procrastination, just life getting in the way of my plans.

Well, I have a very nice, orderly shed out back, and plans to bring order to my home. Mr Wonderful surprised me by moving the washing machine in from that shed to replace my dead one. Who knows what creatures are living in it....guess I will be finding out. Soon, I hope to be able to admire a finished apron for Breezy's trek, a couple of skirts, and a few loads of nice, clean smelling, freshly washed, dried and folded clothes for my family. I know I have at least one grandchild that appreciates clean clothes, or at least clean blankets. Last week, 'Toughie' said, "Grandma, smell this blanket. You are going to love it. My mom used some new washing stuff." I'm telling you, my mother would be so proud!

2 comments:

  1. Speaking as someone who survived a trek, I recommend not too much gathering. The more fabric, the more weight and it just gets heavy after awhile. I took a dress and skirt. The skirt was too heavy the dress was great, not so beautiful but light. I could bring it this weekend if Breezy wants to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are just staying super busy... you and my mom both need to learn to sit down and take a break or take some time for yourself :) We are sad to report that we sold our tickets for March Madness down there. We just couldn't justify spending up to 2 1/2 months worth of rent for a 4 day vacation, especially with the new little one on the way. We're way bummed that we won't be able to see you guys but hopefully we'll make it down there soon! After all, why do we stay here ALL WINTER when it's so much WARMER there??? I love reading all your fun stories, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete