Monday, March 23, 2009

Greeting Breezy: 2009 Trek Survivor

Mr Wonderful, Kathy T, the bishop's wife, and I drove to Heber, AZ to meet the 2009 West Maricopa Handcart Pioneers. In my many thumbnail pictures, I couldn't tell which handcart was the one Breezy's "Ma & Pa" was pulling, so just picked out this picture of her in the pink bandanna. President Hinton was Breezy's big Brother during the trek. He said that he and Breezy were pushing their handcart, her on one side, he on the other. He said that talking to Breezy was the only thing that kept him going that last two hours of the sixteen mile trek the first day. He was our last stake president, and he is such a humble man. He is probably the most intelligent person I know. I asked Breezy about her walk with him. She asked, "Leftie? You mean my big brother Leftie? Well, we talked a lot about the stars. I have NEVER seen so many stars in my life. He knows them all personally!"

' Leftie' and Breezy

Mr Wonderful and Breezy

Mrs Wonderful and Breezy...oh, yeah, Mom O' Nine......

Breezy by her handcart.

I took this picture of her cup. She carried it clipped to her apron. When I asked her about it, she held it up and showed me the skiff of dirt in it. She said she drank dirty water the entire trip, and was happy for it. In talking with her, Mr Wonderful and I can tell her testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ, our only source of 'Living Water' has grown. I am truly thankful for all the brothers and sisters in our stake that worked so hard in preparation for this amazingly spiritual activity, and that Breezy was able to be a part of it. THANK YOU!

Four youth speakers spoke in sacrament meeting. Robert N mentioned seeing this girl pushing her handcart. He said a lot of people were whining and complaining over everything. He said this girl slipped in one of the muddy ruts, turned her foot and the ankle was on the ground. He said it looked like it really hurt, and he was waiting for her to stop and need assistance, as he knew it really hurt her. Half of the congregation turned and looked as knew it was Breezy he was talking about. He said she didn't even stop--just kept walking and pushing the handcart.

Photos taken by a lady in our ward are available at the following site.
http://groups.google.com/group/pioneer-trek (Breezy is in picture 122 and 123. Arlen and I are in the background of family 6 near the end.)

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Breezy. We would have guessed you would be tne "positive attitude" pioneer. We're happy you're safely home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of her last week and wondered how it went. Glad it was such a positive experience. Erica has been on two and I can't wait to finally go next summer myself. Good job, Breezy!

    ReplyDelete