Saturday, December 12, 2009
Texas Sheet Cake Recipe
I was in the kitchen working on a Texas Sheet cake for our Ward Christmas party yesterday. Mr Wonderful was home sick with a bad cold. He looked me up and down. I was wearing a brightly striped apron I made, as didn't want to risk getting chocolate on my last totally white shirt. He asked, "What are you having, a Martha Stewart moment?" If you lived in my house, or have visited lately....or at all, you would realize how funny that comment was. Boy, would Martha Stewart be offended! I wrote his comment into my Face book status, and was even more cracked up by some of the comments. Anyway, son-in-law, Joseph informed me that he really loves Texas Sheet Cake, so told him I'd do him one for our weekly Sunday dinner tomorrow. He was very happy, and Kristi is relieved, as she is having dinner at her house, and she doesn't usually cook.....very much. Also, it is a good thing I don't spend a lot of time looking at the lovely food blogs that are out there....some of the photos just make me drool, they looks so wonderful. Some are so creative, I don't even know where they come up with the ideas. This picture of the "good" side of the Texas Sheet cake in the pan on my table is as good as it gets, folks. I just put this up here so I have the recipe I used for this Texas sheet cake, as it is pretty good and not the recipe I used 25 or so years ago....the last time I made one. I think I like this one better. We'll see how it goes over at the family dinner tomorrow. I think most of the professional or nearly so blogs test a recipe for a week or so before it makes their blog. Not so this one, make a recipe, have a few humorous moments and voila! It makes the blog.
Anyway, here is the recipe--mostly for myself.....so maybe I can find it.....next time I want to make it...unless it is another 25 years, then what is the point anyway?
Cake ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
1/2 cup shortening
4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sift together and set aside in large bowl the flour and sugar.
In a saucepan over medium heat bring to a boil: the butter, shortening, water, and cocoa powder.
Pour cocoa mixture over flour and sugar mixture. Stir in buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Mix well and pour into a greased and floured large cookie sheet. Mine was 11 by 17 inches.
Bake in a preheated oven 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. My oven, it takes only 15 minutes--don't over cook it.
Frosting:
Start five minutes before the cake is finished. I pretty much just start doing the frosting or gathering the ingredients as soon as the cake is in the oven...Guess I am slow.
1/2 cup butter
6 Tablespoons milk
4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
4 cups Confectioner's Sugar
nuts if you want, but no one here likes them, so no clue how many you would even add
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Bring to a boil in a saucepan the butter, milk,and cocoa. Remove from heat and immediately stir in the Confectioner's sugar, nuts, if desired, and vanilla. Beat until smooth and immediately pour frosting over hot cake. Cake may be served warm or at room temperature. Easily serves 20 people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Yummy!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you posted this because I wanted to make one tomorrow! Yum! Thank you!
ReplyDelete