Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Pinewood Derby 2010
Well, I missed the Villa da Paz Pinewood Derby this year. I had to help with our Relief Society birthday party. Mr Wonderful and Austin really put a LOT of work into their car this year. Austin drew a design, and our bandsaw broke before Mr Wonderful could cut it out. He bought Aussie a little hotrod looking car and they worked on it. The part finally came for the bandsaw, and the boys finished the origional car Aussie had designed. We took the car into the post office and weighed it on their scale. We also bought some stamps so the 15 people behind us were not mad....The postal worker really enjoyed weighing the car and talking derby cars. It was a little over an ounce too heavy, so Mr Wonderful had to go home and drill out some weights. They also spent about two weeks sanding the nails (axels) and wheels with progressively finer sandpaper. Aussie's little hot rod ran faster than the car he designed, so they ended up racing it. His car won every race....except the last three races. Two cars tied for first with 34 points and Aussie had 33. He was a little disappointed, as he worked VERY hard on his car. He had beat both of the winners on earlier races. Also, Mr Wonderful hauled all of his tools, glue, weights to the derby. One guy had to drill out some weights and used our drill, three kids used up all of our extra weights. Mr Wonderful loaned out his pliers for a guy to pop his non breakable weights apart.....just call him "Mr Prepared!" On a funny note, when my honey walked in there, Alan Bowles said, "Hey, I know you! You are Mr Wonderful!" Yes, he is, and the word is getting around. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Congratulations Austin & Mr. Wonderful!!! Our Pinewood derby is coming up & I'm excited for it. Dan is a bear leader so he is having a lot of fun helping the boys make their car. It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! What did you have for desert. We're trying to decide what to have. Our budget is so limited, but I want it to be special...I'll take any suggestions!
ReplyDeleteShanda, I'll have to check and see what they had for refreshments. I had to be at our RS birthday celebration for Agua Fria Ward. Austin's derby was for Villa da Paz Ward. Last year I think they just had cookies--store bought at that, but they went very fast with all of those boys!
ReplyDelete