Monday, March 29, 2010

Kristi, I have Moving Boxes for You!


Mom and I had a bit of an adventure today. I'd like to share it with you if you'd care to read on. This is a picture of the back of my Kia Rondo. I am hoping you can see the many, many moving boxes that are crammed in there. The white trash bag has five quilts in it for my baby group. My Census letter that I need to mail is in there somewhere, too. Anyway, here goes the story:

Mom and I went over to my friend, Colleen's house and took her some batting pieces she likes to use in her quilts for the babies. We also picked up some quilts and added them to the Easter quilts I had in the car for my friend Glenda, a nurse at St Joseph's NICU's. She hauls the quilts to the hospital so I don't have to. Anyway, we dropped off most of the quilts and were heading out of Glenda's neighborhood. I saw these two boxes stuff with more moving boxes on the curb waiting for the Phoenix recycling truck that was behind us. I told mom I was going to get those boxes for Kristi, as she got her home and hopefully will be moving into it the end of April. I flipped around, flipped around again and pulled up by the boxes. There was a huge gentleman in the garage, so I told him I had a daughter who was moving soon, and could I take his boxes. He told me certainly and said he had more. I told him the ones on the curb were about all I could handle. Mom and I were doing our best to literally stuff boxes into the car. He pulled over two more boxes and informed me I needed a truck. I informed him I only had a car. We took the folded boxes out of the boxes they were standing up in, and TOTALLY filled the back of the car and back seat with boxes. We had the recycle truck pull around us as we were loading boxes. I told mom those boxes were a gift from God. We took the boxes that we could not cram into the car (only about 3) back and started talking to the couple in their garage. We exchanged names. They were from England, so mom started talking about her travels. They were looking at my little mom, amazed she loved to travel. We talked for about a half hour or so. The lady's best friend back in England was named Shirley so when she found out mom's name, she was instantly a friend. Mom told her she had recently retired and here for the winter but going home soon to Idaho. The lady LOVED Idaho potatoes and put in her order for them from my mom! She invited us back for tea when mom gets back next fall. Well, there was a lot of talk of England, how the gentleman hates the French. (I informed him the French don't like us either, and he said WHO CARES!) They had lived in Oregon for years and loved it there. Anyway, there are no coincidences in life. We could have just got the needed boxes from the curb, but made new friends. As my mom says. Every day here is an adventure!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. What a cool story! I can't believe how much snow Idaho has had! We went to Gilbert for Easter and enjoyed the 80's. When I called my mom to wish her a happy Easter she informed me about the 7 inches of snow they had, that DAY! They closed school on Monday or Tuesday there & the interstate had to be closed from all the snow...Glad I'm in Vegas! But going to Arizona made me miss it so much! We drove by our old apartment on our way out of town. That part of town has grown so much! Maybe one of these days I'll get to see you guys again. Hey, is there a Travis Eggan in your ward? He is my ex-uncle. Anyway, hope you're doing well! Wish I was there to enjoy your pretty flowers! I'm enjoying Vegas but I think Phoenix is much more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shanda,
    We left on Easter, so missed the big storm. My relatives were acting like we were wimps for worrying about driving in a bit of snow....SO glad we left when we did. we listened to conference as we drove along. :) When I heard about that storm, the schools closed, etc. I was SO glad to be home! I'll check on Travis Eggan. We have some new people--two new babies, but Phyllis Clawson was visiting them. I am not certain of their names at this point. I feel out of the loop for some reason. I hope we get to run into each other sometime. I think we will. :)

    ReplyDelete