Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"Working Where the Sun Don't Shine"

Well, I had a colonoscopy yesterday. I have had a few people ask me if that was what I was going to talk about in my blog today. I didn't plan on it, but Jen didn't take a camera when she took "Toughie" with her for "Take Your Child to work day" they had at SRP yesterday. I need to check out the 129 pictures "Risti" took of the kids and animals at the World Wild Life Zoo and Aquarium, so yes, I am writing a bit about colons today! Just a bit, though. Katie Couric may feel ok showing her internal plumbing to the world, but not me. (I do have 13 pictures of the polyps they removed....but I'll just stick them in a file with all of my other polypectomy pics. They aren't something I would scrapbook or put in a blog. Thank goodness! They may end up in some medical journal, but I'll never admit they are mine!)

One thing I will share, though: The nurse checking me in was going on and on about how she loved my hair. Now, I couldn't eat or drink all day, and got a little bored. Dano, our daughter the hairdresser, cut my hair, blew it dry for me, etc. It did look really nice. I told the lady she could go to the Arrowhead Dolce Salon and ask for my daughter Dano, and get her "mom" cut. Get this: She said, "Well your cut is nice, but what I REALLY love is how your gray looks so natural. You are so brave." Brave? Lazy is more like it. It LOOKS natural, because it is. I am one of the most "hair lazy people on the planet." When you put all that dye on your head, (Which is wonderful if you like to do it.) you never know what color your hair really is....I like to know exactly how gray I am so the shock does not kill me.

Back to colons. Seriously, though, if there is a history of colon cancer in your family, or you have any painless rectal bleeding, or just don't feel things aren't "right" please check with your doctor. If the cancer is only in a polyp and they remove it....you are cancer free. If the cancer grows into the intestinal wall or gets to your liver....you won't be so lucky. It is a leading killer of men and women and is so easily prevented if caught early.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReBTWaaAjds

SONG: "Working Where The Sun Don't Shine" (The Colorectal Surgeon's Song)
(I had the words listed, but my post disappeared, so maybe it was a copyright infringement, who knows. Check out the you tube address. It is hilarious.)

4 comments:

  1. I told Jennifer I couldn't wait for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If she had taken a camera, I wouldn't have had to talk about colons in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh nanny, there's nothin like reading about your pooper right before I go to bed. Boy will I have sweet dreams, I guess smelly is more like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby Oven, my pooper was so cleaned out it still hasn't returned to normal. If you have smelly dreams, they won't be from my pooper! I'd check a closer site.

    ReplyDelete