Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Nyla's Banana Bread Recipe

Hi again! Well, I wrote my first blog.....and was thinking what in the world will I write about next? I had some nearly dead bananas...you know, the really, really inedible ones--all black and yucky. Well, they make the best banana bread. I do not have a way to take a picture of my banana bread yet. Well, actually, I am making 12 muffins and two mini loaves. I use a recipe my mother-in-law gave me years ago. She makes the larger loaves and wraps them in waxed paper, plastic wrap, then freezes them. She has a nice quick treat to serve company. She lives in this little town in North Dakota. Family and friends drop in for coffee and if they are lucky, she has some banana bread in the freezer. I like to make the dough into muffins and use the paper muffin liners. We have 9 kids and believe me, the muffins are WAY less messy than slices of the bread. The little mini loaves are wonderful for little gifts for the ladies I visit teach. Here is the fabulous recipe:



Nyla's Banana Bread

3/4 cup margarine (She uses 1/2 cup Crisco and 1/4 cup margarine)*

1 1/2 cup white sugar

cream well.

Add:

1 1/2 cup mashed bananas (4 to 6)**

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

Blend together.

Add:

2 cups sifted flour

1 teaspoon soda

1 teaspoon salt

Add: 1/2 cup sour milk***

Bake 350 degrees for 1 1/2 for large loaves, 20 minutes for muffins, etc.



* can use 3/4 cup butter if watching trans fats.

** I never measure the bananas--just add any amount of nearly dead ones I have--within reason. If you have a lot--make a double batch.

***2 Tablespoons vinegar to 1 cup milk equals sour milk. Only use 1/2 cup for recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Welcome to blogging. Took me a bit to figure it out, but it's fun. I think the banana bread recipe sounds great. I've got some bananas that are working on getting yucky, so maybe I'll save them and try it. Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete