Thursday, February 12, 2009

Another Unwanted Visitor

I got up this morning, and took Breezy to seminary, and also dropped "Toughie", my grandson off to his bus stop. It was a bit colder than it has been. I know this, as had to wait for the slight frost on my car windshield to melt off. I felt a bit chilled, had taken grandson, "Little T" to his mother the night before. Baby dog watching duty didn't start for a awhile, so I jumped back in my bed. I had just gotten myself wrapped in my soft, wonderfully warm flannel sheets, when my dogs started to bark. They were outside checking out the backyard. I listened to them for a bit, hoping they would stop because quite frankly, I planned to stay right where I was for awhile. Nope, they did not shut up so I reluctantly got up to investigate. Asia, Dano's Chow mix that looks like a small German Shepherd shot in the back door. At the same time, this huge object shot out of the pool and into the sky. I was calling to Quigley, my little Chow, as couldn't see him at all. This huge gray bird was circling, diving, doing loop the loops in the sky. It's wing span was amazing. Quig finally came running, then stopped dead in his tracks. He was looking up at the bird flying right above him in the sky. He can't see very well. Seriously, we know he can't see very well, as he can run into something that is right in front of him. Now, he can tell something BIG is swooping in the sky, AND he doesn't usually "see" things swooping in the sky. He crouched down and wouldn't come to me. The bird finally landed on our pool fence. It was a crane of all things! I grabbed Breezy's camera to get a shot of the bird after I finally got Quigley in the house. I called Mr. Wonderful, who was at work, to tell him about the crane. He said, "We do not want a crane in the pool. Those things sh-- a lot! (Sorry, it is a direct quote.) Get the dogs out there to scare it away, but don't send Quigley. He doesn't see so good. He will probably get an eye poked out or something!" (See, I told you Quig can't see very well!) Ok, I opened the pool fence so the dogs could go in there to "scare" the crane away. They went two feet in, and promptly headed back out of the pool area and into the house. Crane eviction does not appear to be the job for them. He is still on the wall. If his diet includes mice, I say he can stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment