Friday, March 1, 2013

Grandma Bit the Dust

Went to three grocery stores yesterday. Picked up most everything we will need for the entire week. Well, until next Friday. Went walking with mom this afternoon. She loves to walk around the spring training fields on the corner. We made it down the road, down San Miguel, and the road north of San Miguel and even south on 107th Ave. We made it most of the way across the dirt field between 107th Ave and 113th, or Ball Park ave. I looked over at mom, and she was bent over, picking up speed, and kind of diving forward. I didn't see her trip or anything, but the next thing I knew, she hit the dirt--head first. There was soon blood everywhere. I didn't know what to stop it with--used one of mom's socks, then the other one....and soon handed her my sock. They were all clean, and much more modest than me taking off my shirt to contain the blood. Her fall had knocked her glasses into her cheek, which was cut open and bleeding profusely. Her nose was dripping. I called Stephanie and told her I needed her to come rescue us. I could see a guy directing traffic over at the ball park, and had mom been more seriously hurt, would have been screaming and yelling for him to help. As it was, I let him calmly direct his traffic.

Saw Stephanie head south passed us and she was over on 107th Ave. I called her and told her she had passed us. She headed back north, and I had her park the car. We were so far away, she could barely see me standing up waving at her. I told her to walk over and meet us. Didn't see her. Finally told mom maybe we should walk over and meet Stephanie. I was holding on to bleeding mom. Didn't see Stephanie. Then, saw Breezy's truck. Come to find out, Stephanie had no shoes on, couldn't walk across the field, so went home and got shoes and her sister's truck. She came barreling over the field to us. We put mom in the cab, and I sat in the back on the wheel hub. I was then thinking I'd be the next casualty, when I was popped out of the back of the truck on my head.

We made it home and cleaned up mom. Went to urgent care. They said their provider would see us, and evaluate whether or not she would 'see' mom and stitch her up, or send her to the ER. We cut to the chase, and went to Banner Estrella ER. Very nice. Didn't have to wait too terribly long. First, they were going to use steri-strips, but when the nurse was cleaning it up and I saw how deep the cut was, I asked for stitches. Doc closed the wound with 9 stitches. All things considered, she is looking pretty good....even with a Rocky Balboa eye.

1 comment: