Saturday, March 2, 2013

Beef and Bean Taco Casserole

Good thing I had my week's worth of menus plan out, AND my shopping all finished. Didn't plan on spending the entire afternoon at the ER with my mom. (See yesterday's post.) Came home and whipped up this casserole from Old El Paso. The family liked it--said to fix it again, although, mom and Mike didn't like the olives. Jen and Arlen loved the olives. I say, sprinkle olives over half of it, then, try to remember where they are.......and aren't when you go to serve it.



Beef and Bean Taco Casserole

Beef and Bean Taco Casserole

1 pound lean ground beef
1 can (16 ounce) Old El Paso refried beans (I used some kind of vegetarian ones)
1 jar (16 ounce) Old El Paso thick and Chunk salsa (I used whatever was in the fridge)
1 package (1 ounce) Old El Paso 40% less taco seasoning mix (I forgot to buy it, so used a cheesy   taco package from the pantry. Worked fine.)
2 1/2 cups coarsely broken tortilla chips (I bought a small bag of lime flavored ones at Fresh and Easy and smashed the bag of them--also worked fine.)
1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
4 medium green onions, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (1 1/2 cup)
1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese (used mild cheddar)
1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
1 cup lettuce

Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium--high heat 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in refried beans, salsa, and taco seasoning mix. Reduce heat to medium. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.

In ungreased 2-quart casserole, place 2 cups of the broken tortilla chips. top evenly with beef mixture. sprinkle with bell pepper, onions, 1 cup of the tomato, the cheese, and olives.

Bake uncovered 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted. top baked casserole with lettuce, remaining 1/2 cup tomato, and remaining 1/2 cup tortilla chips.

Serves 5, but I served six.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. We'll have to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. I am always looking for new dinner recipes.

    ReplyDelete