Thursday, March 28, 2013

Batman for Baby

My oldest grandson, Chewie is expecting a baby sister. Well, his step mother is. She LOVES Batman. Loves him. Really. I made the baby a Mickie Mouse bib, as one of his grandmothers LOVES Mickie Mouse--not Minnie. Turns out the baby is a girl. Well, I got the idea to make a Batman baby blanket. Good thing I waited, since baby is a girl. I picked out my Batman fabric and a coordinating flannel, but decided to punch up my binding by using colors that coordinated with the colors in the Batman fabric, but also add some pink so there was NO doubt baby was a girl.
I went a little hog wild making Prairie Points


Finished blanket showing Prairie Points

I may have gone a little overboard cutting out prairie points. I think I used 49 or 50, and must have cut out maybe 200 of them. I washed all of my fabrics before sewing them.  Then, I ironed them. I had a yard of the Batman fabric, but cut off the selvages and evened up the cut edges, making certain the flannel backing was larger. I carefully pinned all of the prairie points around the edge of the blanket. I stitched them in place, then added the flannel backing, right sides together, and stitched them together envelop style, leaving an 8 inch area unstitched so I could turn the blanket right side out, after carefully trimming the corners and edges. 

I used a serpentine stitch to top stitch all the way around the blanket. I didn't add any batting, as this will be a summer baby, and she isn't going to need batting for warmth, that is certain. The really great thing, was, I started with the blue green dot fabric, and then, yellow, light blue, print blue, strip, pink dot, pink, etc and was amazed that when I ended up, a yellow fabric was butted up against the blue green dot fabric--didn't even have to get creative and move some of the points around--worked out perfectly! When does anything every go perfectly for you? Not often for me, but I'll take it when it happens.

1 comment:

  1. That is such an awesome blanket! I can't believe how much patience you have. That would drive me crazy.

    ReplyDelete