Friday, May 28, 2010

Nursing Cover Up

Well, this is my latest sewing project. I used a pattern I found at 35th Ave Sew and Vac. It is from the Basically Baby Series by Cheri Good Quilt Designs. It has a D ring closure at the top, features Rigilene boning so you can look down and see your baby, and has two pocket areas on the bottom corners. It all conveniently fits in a little drawstring bag. I nursed 7 of my nine children without the luxury of a cute nursing cover up. I used one of my baby's quilts, receiving blankets, etc. Most of the time I have lived in Phoenix, AZ and the babies were NOT impressed by being covered up and flipped the blankets off if they could. So much for modesty! I like the idea of a lightweight cotton cover up, made from cute fabric.

I am not sold on the corner pockets--I had to tack them in two areas towards the top of the pocket, or in my opinion, anything in the pocket would fall out. The designer said to use flannel or terry so the baby has a texture to enjoy. I'm not certain the babies will be all that impressed with the terry or in my case, flannel pockets, but I could be wrong. If I make another cover up, I will leave the pockets off. For me, it is enough that the cover offers nursing modesty--It doesn't have to do dual duty as a carry all, although maybe it would be a discrete place to put a couple of nursing pads.

Although I haven't had a nursing mother model my nursing cover up, I imagine it will be very cute, and serve the purpose for which it was made. None of the girls are home, and I am not certain they would be happy modeling a nursing cover up. Mr Wonderful just laughed when I suggested he try it on.....You will just have to check out the picture of the cover and it's matching bag in the photo.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. you know i feel a bit bad... I have a link to the tutorial I use to make the nursing covers.. and it is free. I agree tho. the babies don't care about texture of the cover corners. I loved the one I made for myself after I had Ashtyn and the many I have made as gifts since. I wish I had one with Haylie and I plan on making a new one before this baby comes since I think I have improved and become more creative since I started making them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very adorable Mom. You know I love polka dots. Not that I'll be needing a nursing cover anytime soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Dee, if you want this one to keep for a future baby, it is yours. I actually need to do a pink one. :) It does have the strange little corner pockets on it.....You could possibly keep your chocolat stash in there.....

    ReplyDelete