Thursday, May 27, 2010

Micro Preemie Bath Blankets


I was cleaning all day yesterday, had a bad allergy attack, and decided against spring cleaning today. St Joseph's NICU requested more bath blankets for their tiniest of babies. About a year ago, they sent me a bad scanned pattern with some measurements, and asked me if I could do these bath blankets. One of the developmental specialists saw them in a preemie catalog for around $20 a piece. There is no hospital funding for preemie bath blankets, so they asked me if I could do some. I sewed up around 30 of them, then they wanted a few in a larger size. Around six months ago, my sewing friend, Joan and I did around 30-40 of them and around 5 large ones.....They must have worn out, as they emailed me last week or so and wanted more.

I came across this wild floral knit while I was cleaning yesterday. No, it isn't a cute baby fabric, or a nice pastel, but it works very fine as a cloth to wrap a very tiny baby up like a burrito, so all of their tiny arms and legs are safe and not flopping around....so they can get a nice sponge bath. Here is my TY September birthday bear I forgot to give to Deidre modeling my bath blankets. The preemies that use the small wash blankets are just about his size and weight. If you do have some soft knit fabrics you are not using, save them for me. I am certain at some point I'll be needing them! I'm not paying the prices for Joanne's fabric, and really miss the $1 and $2 a yard knit fabrics that Walmart used to sell. Oh well. When I am out of fabric, I'll just have to tell St Joe's I can't do any blankets unless they come up with some fabric.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. the Walmart on Dysart and the I-10 still has their cheap fabric. I got some knit there for 1.50/yard or less.

    ReplyDelete