I was at my computer Friday evening, the kids were in the living room watching a movie and I could hear Quigley barking and barking at something outside. I asked the kids to see what was up. First, they said he was barking at nothing. I sent them out again, as he just doesn't bark to hear himself bark. Sure enough, Weffers came in and said Quig was barking at the biggest toad she had ever seen. We relocate the toads when we find them, as the dogs try to pick up the smaller ones and get poisoned. The toads excrete this substance out of their pores that is toxic to the dogs. I spent over $300 on vet bills for Little Bud one summer--He would NOT leave the small toads alone. Oh, this bad boy was so big, I was afraid of the amount of toxin he could release. Thank goodness Quigley knew enough just to bark at the strange looking creature and not try to eat it! The thing was huge. We put it in the bucket and it could jump to the top. I did scream a bit. Mr Wonderful had gone to bed early and didn't budge, so glad I was screaming over a toad and not an intruder! Weffers and I put a metal cover over the bucket and relocated the toad WAY down the road. I do not have any cool toad facts, only two pictures so you can see the ugly big boy!

And no, we did not check to see if he was a prince or not. He did not look like royalty to me!
I once dated a guy at NAU that kind of acted very much like your toad sounds like he behaved! I was smart like your dog and stayed my distance!!!
ReplyDelete