Monday, June 6, 2011

US Airways flight 1549 and Captain Sully Sullenberger




Two times since 2000, I have found myself watching news of airplane flights. The first was 9/11/01. I remember hearing about the first plane striking one of the World Trade Center buildings while I was driving back home after dropping kids off at Westview High School on that Tuesday morning. While listening to details about the first incident, I watched as the second plane hit the second tower, then learned of the plane hitting the Pentagon and the heroic efforts of the passengers to save the air plane they were on board, or at least make certain it did not make it to its target which was probably the White House. I remember the watching in total disbelief as the two towers literally crumbled toward the earth taking the people in the buildings, the firemen, the police, and a small handful of survivors telling their stories. It was heart wrenching. Never in my life have I experienced anything like it, and although I did not lose any one in 9/11, it has affected us all.

I remember the news interrupting the television programing on January 15, 2009 and watched news of a US Airways jet landing in the Hudson River. I watched as the people made their way out onto the wings of the plane and stood there waiting to be rescued. I felt terror in my heart for them--afraid the plane would sink before they could all be rescued. The first ferry reached the passengers within just 4 minutes, but later, when asked how long it took, most of the passengers thought they had waited 15 or more minutes. The water was so cold, and most of them were shivering uncontrollably even in the few minutes. It was a miracle that the plane did not break apart and catch on fire on impact. It was also a miracle that there were ferrys and port authority right in that area to rescue the people. Not one person was lost.

It was interesting to hear about the captain of the plane, Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger. He was the last one out of the plane, and walked up and down the flooding aisle of the plane making certain everyone was out before he left. It was over 4 hours before they were certain ALL of the passengers had been rescued. Later, I watched a news anchor interview Captain Sullenberger, and was impressed with his professional manner, humble demeanor, and fact that he included his co pilot and rest of the crew in the positive outcome.

W works at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station west of Phoenix. He has worked there for 30 years now. He is diligent, honorable, honest, reliable, and a person of great integrity. He works in an industry, nuclear power, that strives to train and educate the operators with a goal of 100% safety and error free performance. In the past, when I have complained about the time and effort he puts into even simple tasks at home, W has told me that he can't be a perfectionist at work and turn it off and be a slob at home. Well, that is not a direct quote, but close. He doesn't start many projects, and some seem to take ages for him to finish.

W hauled home the book Highest Duty from work after a week of safety training. I had seen it before, and wanted to read it, but didn't spend the $15.99 for it. I started it last weekend. I was struck with how much Sully Sullenberger reminded me of W. They are the same age for starters, same era of caring about people that seems to be sadly lacking in our young people today, honest, care and show love for their families, diligent work ethic. In short, men of integrity. Another thing they shared was fairly long periods away from their families. Sully, for four days at a time, W worked 4-5 twelve hour shifts each week, and basically missed a lot our family time, too. There were years of no dinner time with the family as he got home to late, and he missed a lot of their performances and free time with us all.

I loved Sully's book. He spent his lifetime doing his best, working toward safety in the airline industry. I have viewed the airline industry pretty much from a passenger's point of view--the increased fares, smaller and smaller seat space, less luggage, no food on long flights, crank sometimes CRANKY passengers and flight attendants. Sully points out how diligent the pilots are, and for less pay, less retirement, and less respect--both from an industry stand point and passengers.

When the airplane landed in the Hudson, 84 year old Herman Bomze, a retired Marine and civil engineer, was watching from his Manhattan apartment. He had the same concerns I had while watching the passengers. He called his daughter with his concerns. She in turn sent a letter to Captain Sullenberger telling him her father's story:

He was 15 years old in 1939, and his Jewish family was desperately trying to get out of Austria. His mother, sister, and he left for the United States, but they had to leave his father behind. His dad was transported to Buchenwald, and later murdered.

Herman's daughter, Bracha Nechama wrote in a letter to Captain Sullenberger, and I quote:

"Had you not been so skilled and such a lover of life, my father, or others like him, in their sky-high buildings, could have perished along with your passengers. As a Holocaust survivor, my father taught me that to save a life, is to save the world."

We don't know the good that can come as a result of the 155 survivors of flight 1549. Because of Captain Sullenberger and the actions of his crew, there will be innumerable contributions made by the posterity of the survivors.

I loved his book. Sulley Sullenberger has lived a humble, mostly ordinary life, and helped perform a miracle. I feel he was a vessel Heavenly Father used to save those people that fateful day. I am reminded of the 13th Article of Faith which states:

"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul--We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

No comments:

Post a Comment