Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Remember, Remember

"Often, the answer to our prayer does not come while we’re on our knees but while we’re on our feet serving the Lord and serving those around us. Selfless acts of service and consecration refine our spirits, remove the scales from our spiritual eyes, and open the windows of heaven. By becoming the answer to someone’s prayer, we often find the answer to our own."

--Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Waiting on the Road to Damascus", April 2011 General Conference


I came across this quote after an interesting Sabbath Sunday. As many of you (crack me up, the one person reading this blog besides me) know, I recently became a Primary teacher. I have really been having a TOUGH time with one little boy in the class. The girls are a piece of cake--listen, polite, respectful, but not so my little dude. His mother took him out of class two weeks ago, as he was standing on a chair, jumping up and down, shouting and laughing....and I was thinking that I was not paid enough for the job.....


Fast forward to this past Sunday. Little Dude was still talkative, but apologized to me for his past bad behavior. He is just six or seven, so not like I am not going to forgive the little guy. He was sitting right at my left at the side of my table, chatting along, not raising his hand, shouting out the answers, then coloring a color page, and eating an illegal snack of cinnamon goldfish crackers and marshmallows in the shapes of "Cars" from the movie of the same name. He informed me that he did not care for Primary all that well, as it was the same thing over and over again, and he knew it all already.


I told him I was 56 years old. You should have seen the eyebrows raise on my six year olds in the class. I remember being a teen, and thinking anyone over 18 was ancient, anyone over 30 REALLY old, so to a six year old, I am pretty much Methuselah. I told him that in sacrament meeting, there was a wonderful talk about prayer. I have heard many, many talks on prayer, had many lessons about prayer, but Heavenly Father must think that I need to learn and apply prayer more in my life. Little Dude said, "Well, you must be a slow learner, cause I learn really fast!" Ok, maybe they need to start a program to 'test out' the really bright ones and pass them on to Young Men/Women, or give them my job.


My class hasn't had a teacher for a really long time. Well, a teacher who cared enough to show up and love them. My Little Dude said maybe Primary wasn't as bad as he thought. I hope it isn't. I hope he will learn some new things, be able to share the things he already knows about the Gospel, and have some fun doing it.


I shared the quote at the top, as I do believe we are given what we need, and what we need to work on. I listened to the talk on Sunday, and was just given this wonderful quote to ponder. I need more fervent and frequent prayer in my life, and as Little Dude said, "I might just be a really slow learner." I am thankful Heavenly Father is patient with me.

1 comment: