Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pasta Chicken Salad


I made a recipe that Kristi wanted me to try. Actually, she suggested it about the same time Mr Wonderful left for North Dakota. I did manage to buy the Crasins the recipe called for.....but didn't get around to making the recipe. It was actually a chicken salad recipe. It called for four chicken breasts. That is a lot of chicken meat. I know, as use about that many to make Megan's fabulous Chicken Enchilada recipe. It is hot here. I haven't felt like turning my oven on. I bought a rotisserie chicken and used those two chicken breasts. When I am not so tired, I'll go find my camera and maybe post the picture I took of my finished Pasta Chicken Salad. My craisins did not show up red in the picture. They kind of look like olives. Also, I decided to call my recipe Pasta Chicken Salad as there is WAY more pasta in it than chicken. I think it is perfect. Kristi thought it was perfect, too. Don't tell Mr Wonderful, but I haven't been cooking or baking since he left. I made a few Sunday dinners for the kids, though. Usually, I ate breakfast, then went some place and foraged for food. Sonic with Breezy. Wendy's with Steph and Breezy. Barrio's with my friend Elvonna and QUITE a few take home pizzas with Kristi, etc. I've been to Dilly's Deli twice with Deidre....and we haven't been making dinner. Breezy makes popcorn each evening, stays up WAY to late and sleeps a lot during the day. We have had a rather laid back, lazy summer.

Oh yeah, did you see I have about one visitor a day to my blog? I just checked out a blog Sugar Doodle suggested on Face book. She had over 29,000 hits today! Ok, so she is way more interesting than I am. Works for me. Ok, for my recipe before I forget that was what I am even blogging about in the first place:


The breasts from one rotisserie chicken, diced, or cut up in small pieces
most of a bag of Crasins
2 cups or more of grapes--cut in half
2 stalks of celery cut up so small Mr Wonderful might miss it (He is slightly allergic. I do not want to kill him, but needed some crunch in my salad.)
One 12-ounce package of cork screw pasta--I used the colored ones
one-Half or so package of bowtie pasta, as I only have one large pot and the entire 12-ounce package would not fit in there. You could probably use the entire box if you have two big pots.
4 green onions cut up even smaller than the celery so NO ONE can identify it in there.
A small can of pineapple tidbits. The recipe called for a 20 ounce can, but Kristi said the tuna Sized can was plenty.

Also, the recipe called for 1 cup of cashews--whole or chopped. I don't like nuts, so I left them out. The crunch from my salad comes from the celery....If you like nuts, add the cashews.

The dressing is one 16 ounce bottle of Kraft Coleslaw dressing mixed with 1 cup of Best Foods Mayonnaise, and poured over all of the other ingredients and mixed up all together.

It started out Stacy Fisher's recipe. She used to be in Kristi's ward and her parents are in my ward. The version I came up with is very tasty. Kristi is VERY picky and she loved it. Give it a try. Doctor it up for your tastes...Be brave! Try an entire can of pineapple or throw in those cashews! Well, or play it safe and try my version. It is a cool, tasty refreshing summer dish.

2 comments:

  1. Your salad sounds past yummy! And, if you only have one visitor a day...it has to be me! Love your blog. Makes my life seem a little less hectic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carla, for reading my blog. Well, soon I think I will just call it my journal. :)

    ReplyDelete