Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Southern Plantation & Pass-a-Grille Beach



Checking out the old cistern at the plantation. Margaret and Marty are on the right. Random people on the left.

Sugar cane rollers.
The deal that really ground something....It looked like a catapult to me.


The first full day I was really a tourist in Florida, Margaret, Marty and I decided to try to find this place that was billed in Margaret's day trip book as a Plantation. I think it was some place in St Petersburg, but not certain. I was expecting something along the lines of Mt Vernon. We followed Marty and Margaret's Magellan GPS system (That they lovingly refer to as Lucy) directions and ended up in an old neighborhood. We finally found an old two story white building....with columns....in a small park and surrounded by old apartments and small houses. There was an old wooden deal displayed in the park. I thought it was a catapult. It ground something. We also saw some old rollers that smashed sugar cane. The plantation was not all that impressive and we were a bit disappointed. Marty was wondering why we had drug him away from watching NASCAR......
This is a draw bridge we were stopped at while the sailboat on the left there passed under the bridge. We were on our way to Pass-a-Grille Beach.


This is a view of the Skyway Bridge we went over...It was amazing. The bridges over the blue/green water were amazing. The shallow water was a green color and you could tell where the deeper water was, as it was a blue color. Water, water everywhere and bridges, too.



This is me in the water on the Beach at Pass-a-Grille beach. It is my first Florida beach experience and I LOVED IT! It was so beautiful. The water was as warm as bath water. The beach was not crowded as they are in San Diego this time of year. I wanted to stay all day.
This is on the way down to the beach at Pass-a-Grille. My pictures are out of order and tired of trying to move them. Below is another view from the parking lot...looking toward the beach area.



I actually got to see the Pass-a-Grille area twice, as later in the week, we caught a ferry to Shell Key Island from the same Main Street that Pass-a-Grille is located on. I do not have a picture of the little quaint Main Street, but it was very unique. The little shops were not on top of each other like they are in San Diego. I could look across the bay to the million dollar houses....was amazing. While eating breakfast in a little cafe waiting for our ferry time, I read an newspaper article about the Pass-a-Grille area. In the 1730's, it was a Spanish Colony and they raised pigs. I guess this beach runs into St Pete beach. We checked out a few of the little tourist shops. There is a wonderful old resort up the street from Pass-a-Grille called the Don Caesar. It is a beautiful pink and white building. I just loved the entire Pass-a-Grille area.

No comments:

Post a Comment