I was at my computer Thursday and Toughie, my 9-year old Grandson came in. He said, "Grandma, we have a problem. You are all out of bread. You know the good stuff you buy for grandpa? Well, he only has a the beginning and the end. You know, the stuff he won't eat." (The heels of the bread, and believe me, Mr Wonderful will go hungry as eat them, so it was a problem.) Toughie continued, You are all out of the normal wheat bread I eat, and you know the white stuff Chewie (11 year old grandson) likes, well it is mushed up and you know he won't eat it that way."
I told him I would go get some bread. He said, "Well, we are out of raspberry Captain Crunch cereal, too."
I don't usually buy it and told him so. He said Stephanie bought it for him while I was gone to Florida.....and he wanted more. As he walked away, he said, "Get two bags of Salt & Vinegar chips--You know, the ones I like. Get two bags as Stephanie will eat them all before I get back over here tomorrow, OK?"
Duly noted. My grandkids crack me up. I am blogging this so I can remember it. My own kids told me things like this all of the time, and I didn't take the time to record it, and those memories are mostly gone. Once and awhile my mom will remind me of something the kids said that tickled her at the time.
Eleven year old Chewie was talking to me a few years ago, and he was talking about Grandma Raisin. I said, "Wait a minute, Bonnie is Grandma Raisin?" He informed me that it is actually his other grandma's mother, so Great Grandma, Bonnie's mother, Florence, he was calling raisin. You probably can figure out why, but I was dense and asked him why he was calling her raisin. He said, "You know, she is all wizened up and old and wrinkly. He didn't mean it in a bad way, either, it was just and observation he'd made....that totally cracked me up.
I was showing Austin how to make strawberry smoothies one day. Actually, he was doing all of the work, I was merely the overseer. He was washing his strawberries off and asked me if he took the lettuce off of the strawberries before throwing them in the blender, or left them on? It took me a second to realize what he meant the hull of the berry. Now, we just tell people to remove the lettuce from the strawberries! Think about it.
Of all the hundreds of little things the kids have said that tickled me, here are a few so I can remember them. Included is my Thursday shopping list from Austin and his observation about my limited bread situation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment