My friend, Margaret and her little dog child, Oliver.
Just a shot of part of the M & M Farm. Shows some of the trees with the Spanish moss hanging on them.
The little house that used to be part of the M & M ranch. I haven't received a copy of the pictures of the actual house Marty and Margaret own. We used a different camera.
I was standing outside of their garage and took this shot.I just returned from vacationing in Florida. I was able to stay with friends that originally were from the Phoenix area. They recently bought a wonderful home on 7 acres in Plant City, Florida. Until recently, I had never heard of Plant City. It is a farming community east of Tampa between Brandon and Lakeland along Interstate 4. I have come to find out that it is the winter Strawberry capital of the world. They hold an annual Strawberry Festival each winter that is attended by people from around the country as well as from around the world. Many people think the city was named for the vast local flora, but it was actually named for railroad developer Henry B Plant. (The railroad actually runs behind or to one side of my friends' land, but you can hardly hear the train when outside and not at all when inside their home.) Plant City's original name was Ichepucksassa (also known as Idasukshed) after the Indian village that once occupied the territory. Its name caused so much confusion that the city was renamed Cork, after the postmaster's Irish hometown.
I loved the beauty of the Plant City area. They have quite a bit of rainfall, and everything is green and beautiful. Their acres are covered with elegant old trees that are covered in Spanish moss. There is a huge pond on the property. We walked out to see how high the water level was each day. I think it rained around 2 inches or so each day I was there. As her husband mowed the grass with his tractor, large white egrets followed him and snapped up the worms that he uncovered. One morning, we saw a huge hawk circling over head. There is at least one noisy woodpecker that hangs around rapping on the trees. From my bedroom window, I could watch the squirrels scampering up and down the trees and feeding from the feeder my friend had hanging out for them. It was very peaceful and quiet. All told, I think I saw 3-4 trucks or cars go down the road in front of their road the entire week I was there. I am certain we have more traffic on our dead end cul de sac road here in Phoenix.
Also, along Interstate 4, I do remember seeing a lovely LDS church building and smiled as it is next door to a Lutheran church. I do hope they are good neighbors to each other.
I am so thankful for my good friends. They welcomed me into their home and treated me just like family. I loved every minute, and would go back in a heartbeat. I'll write a few more blogs about my trip, as one just won't do it justice. I first wanted to blog about the beautiful city that I fell in love with. It reminded me a bit of Ucon, Idaho--the small rural area my mother grew up in. There was not hanging Spanish moss or such big grand old trees, but it was lovely countryside where I found much joy as a child. I found myself feeling that same way in Plant City, Florida.
I loved the beauty of the Plant City area. They have quite a bit of rainfall, and everything is green and beautiful. Their acres are covered with elegant old trees that are covered in Spanish moss. There is a huge pond on the property. We walked out to see how high the water level was each day. I think it rained around 2 inches or so each day I was there. As her husband mowed the grass with his tractor, large white egrets followed him and snapped up the worms that he uncovered. One morning, we saw a huge hawk circling over head. There is at least one noisy woodpecker that hangs around rapping on the trees. From my bedroom window, I could watch the squirrels scampering up and down the trees and feeding from the feeder my friend had hanging out for them. It was very peaceful and quiet. All told, I think I saw 3-4 trucks or cars go down the road in front of their road the entire week I was there. I am certain we have more traffic on our dead end cul de sac road here in Phoenix.
Also, along Interstate 4, I do remember seeing a lovely LDS church building and smiled as it is next door to a Lutheran church. I do hope they are good neighbors to each other.
I am so thankful for my good friends. They welcomed me into their home and treated me just like family. I loved every minute, and would go back in a heartbeat. I'll write a few more blogs about my trip, as one just won't do it justice. I first wanted to blog about the beautiful city that I fell in love with. It reminded me a bit of Ucon, Idaho--the small rural area my mother grew up in. There was not hanging Spanish moss or such big grand old trees, but it was lovely countryside where I found much joy as a child. I found myself feeling that same way in Plant City, Florida.




No comments:
Post a Comment