Got the recipe from son in law Joseph, who actually served a mission around the Chicago area, so he would indeed KNOW what constitutes a true Chicago sandwich.
Slow Cooker Italian Beef for Sandwiches (again, an All Recipe, recipe.)
Ingredients:
3 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 bay leaf
1 (7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
1 (5 pound) rump roast
Directions:
Combine water with salt, ground black pepper, oregano. basil, onion salt, parsley, garlic powder, bay leaf, and salad dressing mix in a suacepan. Stir well, and bring to a boil.
Place roast in a slow cooker, and pour salad dressing mixture over the meat.
Cover, and cook on low for 10-12 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours. When done, removed bay leaf, and shred meat with a fork. Serve on rolls of your choice with some of the juice. Yummy!
Notes from Sandy. Number one, I could not find a rump roast. I didn't look that hard, but didn't find one. Also, none of them were in the five pound bracket. I went to Costco, and got a package of two tri-top roasts that nearly totaled five pounds.
I put both roasts in the crock pot and poured the boiled concoction over them. Wasn't that teaspoon of this, that and the other great? I felt like saying just put a teaspoon of very thing in your spice cupboard in there minus the alum, and the pie spices....and the bottle of tacky glue....just kidding.
Anyway, it serves at least 10, probably more, as people didn't pile the meat on their sandwiches, and the tri-tip roast did not seem to shrink like little pot roasts seem to do...I fed at least 10 people, and I sent leftovers home with Joseph, and I have plenty for sandwiches for tomorrow. Wonderful left over meat! I won't have to cook! That totally works for me.
Until next time, this is Sandy signing out...really need something to blog about--nothing gory, and I hardly have any animals left that could be killed off....but I'll see what comes down the pike to write about.




I will never let my husband read your blog! You are a "handy-woman" with fixin', painting, etc. You sew like no one else and you just have to cook! Oh, no. He will never see your blog. He thinks all women are like me, so why would I confuse him now? Do you hire out?!
ReplyDeleteI do have some FANTASTIC leftover beef you should try, Carla....I don't even like beef and I liked the flavor. My house is a disaster--Have thre totally junked up rooms I am working on. I am not working too fast, though, as can't decide how to organize it, so just keep stopping and sewing up simple baby clothes and blankets, as there is a lot of fabric snarking up one room. I saw that word, snark...I really don't know if the fabric is snarking up the room or not...but sounds good. Also, you and I are the only ones that ever see this blog anyway. I had some friends show some interest, but I was too embarrassed to give them the address, as really, it barely qualifies as a blog......It is like the low rung on a ladder blog....but hey, without that bottom rung, someone is going to sprain an ankle....maybe. What I am saying as maybe you have to see my blog to realize there are good blogs out there? Nah, the good blogs you pretty much recognize from the get go. Mine is snarky....really snarky.
ReplyDelete