Well, I learned how to properly 'boil' eggs this year. I have been doing it wrong now for half a century. Well, if I started boiling eggs at age five, it is over half a century. I learned the proper way by reading food blogs. Maybe it was craft/food blogs, I do not know. Basically, you are supposed to 'coddle' the eggs not boil the crap out of them. If you boil them, they get the ugly green ring around the yoke. Who knew? Well, if I knew, I forgot, OK. W and I spent an entire day 'coddling' our eggs. We put a single layer in a large pan; covered them with the exact proper amount of water, brought them to a full rolling boil, then removed them from the heat, clamped a tight fitting lid on them, and let them sit for 17 or so minutes. Then we lifted the lid, and put the eggs carefully (except the one time when I didn't any help and dropped them in the cold water) into a cold water bath and let them cool there. W was happy I crashed 6 of the 12 eggs on the one batch, as he was hungry....Also, was so funny. I was peeling the cracked eggs, and put them on an egg tray in the refrigerator. W looked in there the next day and pulled out a naked, boiled egg, the looked at the other naked eggs. He turned around and saw me. "Where those eggs for something?" He asked, thinking he was in trouble for eating a 'project' egg. I told him they were just to eat--that I peeled them and was going to devil them, but never got around to it. Anyway, I took a picture of one of the lovely, perfect, golden yoke boiled eggs, but I can't find it on my computer, so you just get a few random pictures.
I can say, it was really disappointing this year, as none of the grand kids were really into dying eggs. The adult kids had fun. Stephanie made some sugar cookies and they 'painted them Monday evening. When the kids were small, they really loved to dye the eggs and paint the cookies.
We broke with tradition and didn't have an Easter ham, either. We barbecued (by we, I mean W) hamburgers, turkey burgers, shrimp, chicken, and vegetables. We didn't have much leftover food, either. The kids are piranhas!
Also, snapped a couple pictures of Charlie and Maxwell 'playing' with the plastic Easter eggs after the 3 grandsons had their Easter egg hunt. The puppies could tell there was food in the eggs, so they were nosing them around trying to get the candy out of them. Pretty funny. I didn't know dogs 'liked' Smarties candy.
Thursday, May 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment