Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sewing for Faith and Brianna

I picked up some fabrics last year to do some spring sewing for my granddaughters, procrastinated, and didn't get a thing made for them. I told myself it is just easier to buy them clothes on sale from Kohl's, etc., which it truly is. Also, it is hard to sew for them, as they are not nearby to have fittings, so I have no clue if what I sew will even fit them or not. I told myself I was GOING to sew for them this spring....and started. I couldn't find any cute patterns on sale (99 cents), and half price doesn't cut it with patterns these days. Let's just say, I did buy 8 patterns for 99 cents each, and saved over $100. Does that give you non-sewers, or people that haven't bought a pattern in the last decade or so what the cost of patterns is up to?

Well, I attempted a pink seersucker, plise, whatever you want to call the fabric, bubble skirt for Brianna, who is three. I used a size 3 pattern to get her waist size, then think I used the four in length. I had to unpick the elastic "bubble" part, as there was no way I could do it according to their directions on the pattern. I even slept on it to see if it would work for me (my solution to complicated, or even not complicated problems). I decided not to try to put the elastic at the bottom of the skirt the way they suggested, as it was NOT going to work. I am not happy with my solution, either, so pretty certain I will not be making any more bubble skirts with the McCalls pattern I was using.

Next sewing dilemma: What to sew for Faith? I already said I am not happy with the choice of patterns I was able to get for her age child. I decided to sew up a ruffle skirt pattern from the same McCalls pattern I used for the bubble skirt. I had picked up two contrasting fabrics to try making the skirt. On closer examination, the skirt needed THREE contrasting/coordinating fabrics. I took a nap, or hung out in my bedroom while my dog ate a small bone waiting for inspiration on that problem....Should I try it with the two fabrics? Should I try to find a third fabric? Kohl's was looking pretty good at that point. I got up, checked my fabrics and decided to try a blue monochromatic fabric (blue on blue) with little hearts with my wild and wacky prints I bought. I cut out 12 pattern pieces, and started to attach the top ruffle to the top front and back, and realized that there were three more pattern pieces I needed to cut out....and interface. Was I deterred? Nope--I worked on the ruffles and skirt pieces until around 2 am, then I decided I was tired.

Next day, I cut out the yoke pattern pieces, sewed more ruffles on the skirt, put the zipper in, and came up with an edging using two of the 2 1/2 inch (or whatever width they are) from the coordinating jelly roll that went with the two fabrics I had purchased to do the little skirt. Originally, I thought I could use all of the strips for the ruffles on the skirt, but they were too wide. The 18 pattern pieces and three fabrics, plus a zipper installation was enough entertainment without branching out and trying to make my jelly roll strips work as ruffles. Anyway, except for a hook and eye, the little skirt is finished. It is really wild and wacky...and cute! I have no idea if it will fit Faith or not. That is the sad part. The pattern I was using was not available in her size...but her waist measurement was small enough, I thought I'd give it all a try. I hope by some miracle she can wear it. Also, the pattern says EASY right on the front. I am sorry, but 18 pattern pieces, interfacing and a zipper does not qualify as easy in my book. Shopping at Kohl's is easy!

Well, haven't blogged since January, and felt a little badly about that--I think I mused on that a bit while napping and the dog was eating his bone--Do what you can do. That is all you can do. With that, I am out of here to fix a family Sunday dinner. My work here is done. Well, until I ship off these two skirts and get feedback. I might try a couple of simple Jumpers--and really wish the pattern I was using had an elastic waist instead of the yoke and zipper (for more reasons than one, too), as it is way easier ensure a good fit for my little granddaughters.

You won't be seeing any of my skirts, kid's clothes for sale on the Internet--my nerves would be too shot, and the $75 price tag I'd want to charge for a day of sewing one item....well, I'll just let you pick up those adorable bargains at Kohl's!



3 comments:

  1. I am in love and the girls are also! I can't wait for the girls to wear them. Did somebody say "Photoshoot!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am attempting fabric flowers to jazz the skirts up....Need some tulle, though. Hope the skirts fit for a photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought they were very adorable. I really liked the bubble skirt, and the ruffle one has very nice colors. My home improvement projects go about the same way....

    ReplyDelete