Mango quinoa Salad
2 cups cooked quinoa at room temperature, or chilled
1 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium mango, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1 handful chopped cilantro (about 1/2 cup)
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
kosher salt
freshly cracked black pepper
Go check out the recipe at "Our Best Bites". Their photography will really make you hungry, and you can see how lovely the ingredients are that go into this salad. She has additional ideas for serving the salad and also has cooking methods for quinoa on a previous blog.
I think the most important thing about the quinoa, is to RInSE IT THOROUGHLY before cooking it. I had a bit of a problem with that, as it was smaller in diameter than any of my strainers. I must add a VERY fine strainer to my "must have' list if I want to continue to rinse quinoa, which I do. My daughter, Stephanie poked a bunch of holes in a sandwich bag and "rinsed" my quinoa for me by letting it drain out of the little holes. It was not the most efficient method, but our quinoa tastes very good, so it worked.
I cooked 1 cup of the rinsed quinoa and two cups of vegetable broth in a small saucepan on my stove top according to the directions on the package. I brought it to a boil for five minutes, then covered it and cooked it on low for 15 minutes. It still looked watery, so let it sit, then strained it, as didn't want watery quinoa in my salad. I chilled it while chopping the vegetables (I bought a little carton of mango spears for the same price as a mango, so in my book, that was worth it not to have to peel the thing, just chop it.
Anyway, the chopped mango went in a bowl with chopped red pepper, green onion, the black beans and cilantro. I combined the vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice in a small bowl (Not certain at all I would like it). I whisked it as they advised, and covered the salad in it--tossing, then adding in my chilled quinoa. I did add some sea salt and pepper, as was watching a few cooking shows and they said a little salt REALLY does help in flavoring. I have spent about 37 years NOT adding an extra salt, so i probably can handle a little....I figure. Chill before serving.
The Best Bites ladies suggest serving it over cooked chicken or fish. I am going to add some cooked chicken slices to W's and the girls, but not mine, as I try to do a vegetarian meal at least once a week, and this would be it. Usually, I try for a day, but screwed that up with the turkey sandwich I had at lunch with Deidre and Stephanie. Oh well, there is always another day...unless I die, then who cares anyway? Feel free to let me know how to link it to their sites. I do believe that is what I am supposed to do in the grand scheme of things....and common blog courtesy. Well, time to go try out my wonderful salad. Have a good evening, wherever you are. ( I love talking to myself.)
I have some leftover rinsed and drained quinoa. I plan on cooking it and eating it like oatmeal tomorrow for breakfast. Brown sugar, baby, just a little is going on it. I take the good stuff with the bad.




No comments:
Post a Comment