Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Power of a Tiny Berry

Here is my brunch I had today: fresh from the store, in season, luscious raspberries. They are my very favorite fruit....ever. I have many, many memories of picking them right off of the bushes outside of my Aunt Donna's (Jimmer's) kitchen window. I have memories of being sooo small, that someone would lift me up to get the ripe berries near the tops of the bushes. My older children, Jennifer, Megan, and Kristi were also able to pick berries at Aunt Jimmer's. I, too, lifted them up so they could reach the berries at the top of the bushes. It makes me really sad to think my younger kids do not have those memories. I hope they have other wonderful memories of their own childhood. I think they do. It is amazing to me that a tiny berry can evoke so many happy memories for me.

When I was a teen, my good friend, Jackie Harmer's mom and Aunt Nonie ordered raspberries by the CASE from their berry lady. My mom and I got some, too. Nonie shared with me her famous raspberry flan recipe. I am not certain if I have shared it on here or not....I'm going to post it just in case I haven't.

Raspberry Flan
Crust:
2 c. graham cracker crumbs
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 cube melted butter
Mix together and press in a spring-form pan.
Filling:
8 oz cram cheese
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. whipping cream
1 envelop unflavored Knox gelatin
1/2 c. water
1 1/2 c. raspberries (fresh or frozen, thawed)

Put raspberries on prepared crust. Whip cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Whip cream separately. Dissolve gelatin in 1/2 cup water; add cream cheese mixture to water and gelatin; beat. Fold in whipped cream. Pour over berries and crust. Refrigerate 4-6 hours before serving.

Yes, it is fattening, but it is a wonderfully refreshing recipe. If you only make it once a year during berry season, you will really have something special to look forward to. :)

1 comment:

  1. That looks yummy! I have the same memories of picking Berries in my parents yard and then enjoying my mom's homemade Raspberry/huckleberry jam. I hate eating store bought jam! Someday I want a raspberry bush in my yard! When we go to my parents home that is where I can always find Kimberly--the raspberries or strawberries!

    ReplyDelete