Friday, September 17, 2010

My Dog Food Bag Shopping Bag

I was at Border's Bookstore with some of my kids the other day. I like to browse through the Quilt/Crochet/Cross Stitch/Craft magazines. I came across a magazine that was all about "crafting" and reusing or recycling items. I glanced at a photo of a smiling lady with a big dog food bag shopping bag under her arm. "Crazy," I thought to myself. Now, I have seen some really cute purses from recycled items: cigar box purses, and Capri sun drink purses come to mind. I actually tried to make a Capri Sun bag. I found my bags were sticky even after soaking them, AND I wasn't all that thrilled about sewing through the little containers.

I bought two bags of dog food the other day. For whatever reason, I decided to see if I could make a dog food bag. I started out with my little cute puppy bag and sewed the top shut, while meaning to sew the bottom shut....

Just added my large bag of dog food to the plastic container I use to store my opened dog food in, and thought, "What the heck. Nothing to lose. I'm going to try another useless dog food bag." I took the inside liner foil bag out, and cut the bottom off the bag off evenly after tearing it while removing the lining bag. I cut the zipper off of the top of the bag, as wanted to make it more bag size.....sewed the bottom of the bag up, made corners, and carefully taped the zipper closure back on the top of the bag using ever useful duct tape. I added two handles made from folding a length of duct tape in half and attaching it to the bag.

I do not see myself selling my "dog food" bags on etsy any time soon, but just wanted to see if I could do one. Yep, I can. :) No, I won't be giving it as a gift....too strange. I'll keep my eyes posted to see what else I can recycle into something else--useful or not.

1 comment: