Saturday, February 16, 2013

OK, I Admit It......

I might be a little addicted to Facebook. Maybe I am just OCD, I don't know. I only took one psychology class in college, so I'm quite certain I'm not up to coming up with a diagnoses for my 'problem/problems.' I do know I probably am OCD. For instance, I read all of the Janet Evonovich books about Stephanie Plum one after the other, and recently, did the same thing with the Jack Reacher books. I can say, there are two Jack Reacher books I haven't read, and we don't own them. If we did, I am certain I would have read them.

I was really proud of myself when I started writing this blog. Mostly, I was so surprised I could do it. Thanks to Cutest Blog on the Block, I was even able to make my blog all cutsie......not certain I could do it now. I was able to do some links, then, I got all lazy, and just started posting stuff on Facebook. WAY bigger audience; WAY more response. Hardly came to see my blog at all. All these little blogs just sitting around in cyberspace nearly all forgotten.

Two of my friends relatives were able to go to Israel this semester to study at the BYU Jerusalem Center. I was jealous. Every time I hear about someone going there, I wish it was me. It is about as jealous as I get. I am probably wording it all wrong, but Heavenly Father knows the desires of our heart. I was minding my own business sitting in sacrament meeting by myself last week, and read the program. There was a blurb in there about the bishop challenging the ward members to read the four gospels by Easter. I was thinking that was a challenge I should do, then was wondering exactly WHEN I could do it, as I wanted to put at LEAST as much effort into it as reading Stephanie Plum or the Jack Reacher series, which did nothing for my spirituality, by the way.

My kids have friends that give up something for Lent. We don't do that in our religion, but I was thinking, why not give up Facebook? It is the thing I am most OCD about--get on there several times a day seeing what is going on and sharing crazy happenings with my friend. I mentioned it to Breezy and she totally cracked up--"MOM, we don't give up stuff for Lent!" and she laughed at me. I was serious. It was already Ash Wednesday, so I put out the announcement that I was giving up Facebook for Lent, just so they didn't think I had died when I deactivated my Facebook account and disappeared. Some did some hollering, Glad to know I will be missed. Here I am writing to an audience of none, when my posts usually go to at least my nearly 200 FB friends. They compare me to Erma Bombeck, and say I should write a book. OK, I see life funny, but I'm not even a good writer. A book isn't going to happen. One can dream, though.

OK, when my son heard I was giving up FB, he laughed and said I give it four days. I asked him what we were betting on, as issue me a challenge, and I am going to take you down. Hmmm, add betting to my list of problems. Not really, as I don't have a gambling problem, I just don't like losing.

I dug out my big New Testament book I have to start reading the gospels and also found a book I never got around to reading called "The Four Gospels" by D Kelly Ogden, and Andrew C Skinner. I opened it up, and realized that they had both taught at the Jerusalem Center in Israel! Lightning bolt moment for me--Heck, I don't need to be in Israel to learn about the life of the Savior, I just need to read my New Testament and work my way through their book, and desire, ponder and pray. Good bye Facebook (for now) Hello scripture study and feasting upon the word. Heavenly Father truly knows the desires of our hearts and provides us with the means to realize our goals. That is my message for today. Also, I am thankful for a prayerful bishop, wonderful scriptures, good books, and prayer. I also got my floors swept, mopped and waxed--no easy task. Wouldn't have happened with me connected to Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. The first step is admitting you have a problem. Nice job. Sometimes I spend a wee bit too long on Pinterest when I should be doing other things....Things that are less fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment approval thing made me prove I wasn't a robot. If I had to turn it off, I think you should too. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete