Saturday, August 13, 2011

Go You Chicken Fat Go!


A couple of years ago, I was talking nostalgically about my PE class in grade school at Whittier Elementary School, which became A H Bush when the first principal of the school died. I told daughter, Kristi about an exercise program we did all of the time in PE, call "Go You Chicken Fat Go". She went on line and found it, and put her hand over her mouth as her 50 something mother started actually exercising to the music. I bet I really looked cute doing it when I was six, the year Chicken Fat came out, and was passed around free to the schools in the United States.

My PE teacher was Mr Jensen. I think we only had organized PE once or twice a week, as Mr Jensen was the only PE teacher for all of the grade schools in District 91. He was really a nice guy, and I think all of us girls just loved him. I also remember square dancing once in awhile in the older grades, but did a LOT of Chicken Fat repetitions when I was small. The winters in Idaho were very cold, and we could be stuck inside with no recess for days when the temperature really dropped. It was very hard to sit and sit...and sit in our metal and wood desks. We loved to line up and go into the multi-purpose room for PE. I'd like to go back and see how big that room really is. It seemed GINORMOUS to me when I was very young.

Try chicken fat if you haven't done it before. It is really just marching in place, sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks, marching, etc. I might even give it another go.......once I lock the door on my computer room, so I don't have W and the kids laughing at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment