Well, I was looking online, trying to score a FREE toddler sundress pattern, to try some of the fabric I bought from Hobby Lobby last week. I didn't buy a TON of fabric, and a lot of the professional patterns I have were really full and would take a ton more fabric than I had. I came across this totally darling little toddler dress from 2010 on the Modabake.com website. (Picture of the lady's sundress is in my photo along with the fabrics I picked up to try my version of her sun dress. She called it a 'jumper' with ruffled leggings, or some such thing. It is going to be HOT in Texas soon, so I trust my little granddaughters won't be needing ruffled leggings. I could be wrong.)
I printed out the little bodice pattern the lady had on the Moda blog. Actually, it printed out two different ways and had no seam allowances marked or anything. I went to Joanne's with Kristi, and we picked out a Jelly roll of fabric, fat quarter of coordinating fabric she liked and 10 inches of fabric for the border of the sundress. See photo below:
I kind of knew what I was doing.......but didn't feel like her directions were enough to actually come up with a finished sundress. I adapted her bodice for a size 3 Toddler bodice in a Simplicity, or McCall's child's sundress pattern. I also compared the width of my skirt panel to the Simplicity pattern, so I'd know it was wide enough. The professional skirt pattern kind of angled out wider towards the hem, and my strips were obviously just straight.....and I didn't want to mess with trying andle them out wider. I just sewed 20 of them together, using 1/3 of the length of the jelly roll strips. I then folded a five inch piece of fabric and added it to the bottom of my jelly roll strips--attached the skirt to my bodice.....and we will see if it fits Brooklyn or not. The buttonholes were a total nightmare--all the work on the little dress, and I absolutely could NOT get the buttonhole foot to line up properly for two evenly placed buttonholes. Hey, I've done them before, and after over 50 attempts, I should have had the hang of it--with any normal functioning foot.
Here is the little dress all finished. Now, to try to copy Breezy knit maxi skirt for Kristi. Wish me luck!
Update on the maxi skirt. Kristi loved it, pulled it up and made a dress out of out! She totally loved it. I'm off to make maxi skirt number two.......at some point.
Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




That is super cute. Your photo looks professional.
ReplyDelete