In December, I guess our bishop challenged us to read the Four Gospels in the New Testament by Easter. I must have missed the memo. I teach the six year olds in Primary, and after years of being the First Counselor in Relief Society, with my finger on the pulse of the ward, I can say it is true--go to Primary, and you don't have a CLUE what the ward is up to. Well, unless you have friends or other family to tell you. Once in awhile, a RS Newsletter makes it around, etc., but not often. It is kind of like being the Maytag Repairman--gets a little lonely at times.
I had two friends, one whose daughter was able to study at the Jerusalem Center in Israel this semester, and also a friend, whose sister also was able to do so. I was kind of thinking how wonderful that would be, and this little gentle voice kind of came into my mind, "Would you like to study at the Jerusalem Center?" In my mind, I thought, of course I would love that opportunity to study the Savior's life, and walk where he walked--wasn't jealous of the girls, just had a deep longing for what they were doing.
Ok, I'm sitting alone in sacrament meeting listening to the prelude music, and scan my sacrament program. Can't remember a thing about the program, but it was the end of January, and I see this little blurb: The bishop has challenged the ward members to read the Four Gospels in the New Testament by Easter. My scripture study had slipped to way below par, so made a mental note to start reading. I contemplated the challenge that following week. I was in Breezy's bedroom, and I said, "Breezy, I think I will give up Facebook for Lent." She looked at me, and laughed, and said, "Mom, we don't do Lent." Heck, I don't even know about Lent, except people give up something they love for it. My thinking was I spent too much time on it, and same spirit had kind of been telling me this was my chance to 'get to know the Savior, and 'walk' where he walked, and I wanted to take it seriously. I met the challenge. Also read a great book in my home library, which I had been meaning to read:
The Four Gospels Verse by Verse by Skinner and Ogden. I took notes as I read, and shared some passages that touched me with my husband and kids. I have an Ensign to read and also, next week is General Conference, so not like I won't have some more gospel related material to study and learn from. Jennifer and Austin went to church with me, and son, Mike tracked me down, and came to my Primary class and also went to the fifth week combined meeting with me. He then went off to the singles branch with Breezy.
Easter weekend was a little hectic for me. The children and grandchildren love to paint cookies and dye eggs. We did the activities Saturday early evening for Deidre, Joseph, and Matt, as Matt was going to be with his dad on Sunday. We did them again Sunday for Austin, Talon and Danielle's boy friend's little boys were to be there as well, but the mom wanted them, so Danielle wanted to bring them over on Monday. Hey, I fixed a ham, ton of mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and crescent rolls for family dinner, and taught Primary, so I was kind of tired. Stephanie baked cookies all week, or doubt we would have even HAD cookies to paint. For the first time in 36 years, I didn't make Easter baskets. The family doesn't eat that much candy any more, and believe me, I don't need any. W went to Walmart to get oil so he could help Matt change the oil on Kristi's car Saturday. He bought me a big bake of kettle corn, as knows I love it. I thought that was very sweet of him. :-)
OK, I'll put up some of the Easter pictures of the family activities, just to have them to remember. Three times dying eggs, and three times decorating cookies. Jen asked if we were having a 'little Easter egg hunt.' Ah, no. We didn't.
 |
| Sunday Deidre, Breezy and baby Danny |
 |
| Shanna, Talon, Stephanie, Breezy and baby Danny |
 |
| Austin |
 |
| Monday: Danielle and Andrew |
 |
| Andrew and Danielle |
 |
| Saturday: Kristi, Deidre and Joseph |
 |
| Mike and Stephanie |
 |
| Mr Wonderful and Bebe |
 |
| Stephanie and Joseph |
 |
Matt, Stephanie and Joseph
The End |
No comments:
Post a Comment