Ok, I saw this recipe on the Kitchn that I really wanted to try. LOVELY photo of spinach flavored pasta. I wrote down what I needed and headed to Fry's Food Store. They did not have any spinach only pasta, so I picked up some wacky mac. Then, I am not certain I'd like shallots--never bought them, so I chickened out and bought green onions. I did buy the Asiago cheese the recipe called for, but I wasn't certain we'd like it, so I picked up some Kraft crumbles. I turned the Kitchn's Double Spinach Pasta Casserole with Pesto and Asiago into Wacky Mac Pasta Casserole with Pesto and Kraft Cheese Crumbles. I have a picture to prove it:
I'm writing down the recipe I did so if anyone ever wants this casserole again, I can duplicate it.
Wacky Mac Pasta Casserole with Pesto and Kraft Cheese Crumbles
Mine served six with leftovers.
One package Wacky Mac
5 ounces of fresh baby spinach, rough chopped, about five cups ( I may have gone overboard with the chopped spinach)
One bunch of green onions--chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup Kraft Cheese Crumbles--might have used a tad more
4 ounces chicken breast (recipe said raw--I used COOKED rotisserie chicken breast from Costco)
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup prepared basil pesto--I found some by the cheese section at the store and used it
Didn't add any salt, but you can if you like
Freshly ground pepper
2 large eggs
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 by 13 pan (recipe said 8 by 8 pan, but I had too much stuff to go in that size dish). Add Wacky Mac pasta to lightly salted boiling water, and cook according to directions, drain and set aside.
While pasta is cooking, in a large bowl, toss together the chopped spinach, green onions, and garlic. Toss in the Kraft Cheese Crumbles as well.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cream, and pesto. Taste, and add salt if you want. Stir in some black pepper as well. Whisk in the eggs.
Stir the cooked pasta together with the spinach and green onion, then pour in the sauce and toss to coat. Spread in prepared baking dish. Bake 30 minutes or until golden-brown on top and lightly bubbling. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment