Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I've Been Painting for Awhile Now....Quite Awhile.

This would be the 'after shot'. I don't really think I have a 'before' shot.
I promised Matt that if he'd let me take his picture with his paint job, I WOULDN'T put it on Facebook, but I didn't say a thing about my blog. It is a cute picture anyway.
Kristi and I painted the entry way as far up as we could reach. I'll let you know if the top 10 feet ever get painted. It is beyond my control. I wanted to PAY our handyman to paint the newly installed front and back doors. W practically grabbed a paint brush and started painting the trim around the back door. Well, it has been 6 months now, and not a drop more paint is on the doors. I don't want to attempt them and screw them up.
I like this picture of Kristi in shadow working on the living room wall.
We discovered these WONDERFUL rollers just yesterday, and did most of four walls with them. Oh, they hold so much more paint than the regular pink 7 inch rollers we were using...We really could have used them on the living room and saved a lot of time. I highly recommend them.

Well, to the rest of the story. About two years ago, I put up all kinds of color samples on the walls. W chose two of the white/off white colors. Fast forward a year, and Kristi bought her home in Buckeye. She picked out some lovely colors: a buttery yellow, milk chocolate, ocean blue and Sedona red color for her craft room. After W saw how lovely her house turned out, he told me to go with Kristi and pick some colors for our living room and kitchen....so I did. We brought the color chips home and put them up and chose a color called 'Wood-putty. Well, on the walls, it looked rather rosy....The semi-gloss paint ended up a muted pink color, so after Kristi and I had plastered the rosy paint all over the place, W suggested we repaint the kitchen the softer semi gloss Wood putty. I still wasn't all that happy with the color...and really didn't want my entire house pink. I went back to the store and got some more paint chips. I decided to paint one wall of my living room a color called Sharkey Gray and the other wall, Whitestone, a lighter gray-white color. When I got the Sharkey gray on the wall ( It is the same color in my laundry room downstairs, by the way), I just fell in love with it and the contrast with the still all white French doors along that wall. I decided to do the rest of the walls the Sharkey gray. It was a lot of work. W is on vacation in ND--His usual "short" (to him, anyway) 20 day trip home. I call it a three week trip. He subtracts the travel days and calls it a 2 week trip, but you can make up your own mind how long it really is. Basically, he is 'home' with his family, and I am home fixing up our home. I can work at my own pace and not have to worry about feeding a man, or interrupting his television viewing, etc. I don't paint all day, or anything close to all day, though, so it has been taking quite a long time to do the painting. I do have a front closet I'd like to paint, but the kitchen is finished, and the living room is painted and rearranged...and so much nicer than it was before. I still want to paint the upstairs hallway and downstairs, but happy to have two rooms mostly finished.

Before W left for ND, we went to IKEA and picked out quite a few bookcases and wall units to put along two walls in the living room. I've checked with Shane, Austin's dad about having a concrete coating put in as flooring in the kitchen and living room areas. I want to have that done before we put in the wall units. We will need to take EVERYTHING out of the living room, kitchen, two pantry floors and a hallway closet floor....and will have to be gone for 3 days, pets, too. I'll let you know how that goes.......and when it happens.....could be days, weeks, or years the pace we get things done around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment